Can (should) I place a sweep in between floors

Users who are viewing this thread

trw6195

Reaction score
Hello, I'm doing my first plumbing project in my first home and am hoping for some sage wisdom here.

I am creating a laundry room in a first-floor closet, and I want to keep the plumbing in the basement within the joists if possible due to the existing height restrictions. My 2x6 wall with the clothes washer plumbing sits almost perfectly centered on a joist and runs parallel to it. I believe I have just enough room to cut my 2 5/8" hole on one side of the joist and hide the pipe within the baseboard if I can cut a vertical channel on the inside of the baseboard to accommodate the 2" pipe. The hole would protrude about 5/8" outside the Wall's bottom plate, and I'll be using 1/4" drywall to match the plaster thickness in the abutting wall. The house's original trim is a beefy 1" thick, which I planned to reuse, so there's plenty of material to cut the channel in.

1000004703.jpg

*Stud below should say joist below

Question 1: can/should I do that? I've seen baseboards with channels in them to run pipes horizontally in that space, but I haven't heard of a vertical channel being cut into one.

Question 2: to maintain ceiling height, I was thinking I could install the sweep within the floor (inlet above the floor and outlet below the floor. Is this legal? Is it inadvisable? I have not seen this done in any pictures online, but I have limited exposure.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
basically the sweep would be partly below the floor and partly above ? thats fine. you could just barely shave into the joist at the top sounds like its very close as it is ?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
To change from vertical to horizontal its better to use a long sweep and required in some codes.

trw6195

Reaction score
basically the sweep would be partly below the floor and partly above ? thats fine. you could just barely shave into the joist at the top sounds like its very close as it is ?
Yes that's right. And I also did consider that a notch at the top of the joist is allowed, but measuring that to ensure the pipe fits also seems complex without doing "guess and check". Thanks for the advice!

trw6195

Reaction score
To change from vertical to horizontal its better to use a long sweep and required in some codes.
John, thanks for the pointer. The Oregon plumbing code is based on the UPC and I admit it is difficult for me to find exactly what all the "approved fittings of equivalent sweep" are. I've seen some say a short sweep is acceptable, but I think the long sweep is probably best, as you say.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks