Can I use flex copper tube for water heater (NJ)?

Users who are viewing this thread

wang168

Reaction score
This is for a food establishment . I want to replace a leaking hot water heater. And want to use flex copper pipe for both the cold in and hot out connections . I was wondering if that's up to code in NJ . Can I also use a flex gas connection ? The current installation is all hard piping . Thank you .

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ask local plumbers or at the building department in your town hall.

Out here, flex connectors are mandatory, for water and for natural gas. We can't have rigid pipes like in NJ.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
if you can buy them in the hardware store then I say throw them on the unit
and let them make a fuss about it if they so choose.. I doubt that anyone will care
and they will probably last 15 years anyway

why not use brass craft Stainless Steel flexible connectors??
They are much more durable than the copper ones....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Places that worry about earthquakes typically require flexible connections and often, straps. Those places that don't then fall into two groups: those that do not care and allow both, or those that require rigid connections. There is no one way satisfies all...you need to know what your local authority requires.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Ask local plumbers or at the building department in your town hall.

Out here, flex connectors are mandatory, for water and for natural gas. We can't have rigid pipes like in NJ.

I do no t think rigid pipes should be used anywhere .. I have seen way too many homes that have foundations
that have moved up or down in height, and the gas pipes and water lines are under tremendous stress at both the heaters and furnaces.... you take a gas union apart on a water heater replacement and the whole gas pipe jumps up 4 inches when its apart.. same with the water lines...

the flex connections are far safer way to install something over time...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks