Can I just disconnect and cover a live junction box?

Users who are viewing this thread

boot addiction

Reaction score
I currently have 3 pendant lights over my kitchen island. They are very small and close to each other. I would like to remove the middle light fixture permanently and drywall patch the whole. I plan to replace the 1st and 3rd fixtures with matching larger light fixtures. I have not removed the fixtures yet to view how they are wired, but assume that the wiring comes in at fixture # 1 in it's own junction box, then exits that box and enters box #2 (the one I want to remove), connects to the light then exits the box and enters the 3rd junction box and terminates with the connection to the 3rd light. Can I simply connect the wire coming into box 2 from box 1 to the wiring coming from box 3 into box 2 using electrical tape capped with wire nuts, connecting like colors to like colors, then close box #2 with a plate and drywall over it?

Afjes

Reaction score
If #1 feeds #2 and then #3 you can not remove #2 and have a junction of wires in the ceiling without a box. If you can pull a new romex from #1 over to #3 to feed #3 you can abandon old #1 romex to #2 and the same with #2 to #3. You don't have to pull the old wires out, you just need to cap them and label them so someone down the line does not use them.

If you have attic access above the lights you can pull the wires out of the junction box in #2, install a new junction box in replacement of #2 junction box pointing upward towards the attic and reconnect your wires in that new junction box.

boot addiction

Reaction score
If #1 feeds #2 and then #3 you can not remove #2 and have a junction of wires in the ceiling without a box. If you can pull a new romex from #1 over to #3 to feed #3 you can abandon old #1 romex to #2 and the same with #2 to #3. You don't have to pull the old wires out, you just need to cap them and label them so someone down the line does not use them.

If you have attic access above the lights you can pull the wires out of the junction box in #2, install a new junction box in replacement of #2 junction box pointing upward towards the attic and reconnect your wires in that new junction box.
That was a perfect explanation. Thank you!

Afjes

Reaction score
That was a perfect explanation. Thank you!
You are very welcome.

Just remember, what ever way you decide to do this do not leave box #2 with live wires (even if connected properly) in the box facing down and then cover with sheet rock etc. All junction boxes must be accessable by code.
So if you have attic access that is your best way to deal with this.

boot addiction

Reaction score
You are very welcome.

Just remember, what ever way you decide to do this do not leave box #2 with live wires (even if connected properly) in the box facing down and then cover with sheet rock etc. All junction boxes must be accessable by code.
So if you have attic access that is your best way to deal with this.
That makes perfect sense. Thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks