Buried well head, what do I have?

Users who are viewing this thread

SHOz123

Reaction score
My well pump is a shallow well jet pump single pipe. It's worked great for the 40 years I've been here as far as water flow. The well is rumored to be 149' per the person who built the house. But the last few years if I run the water hose full blast it starts to cavitate. It use to be able to deliver quite a bit with no issues. The well was drilled in 1959.

But the original owner can not confirm exactly where it is. I did take the suction pipe off the pump and ran a fish tape into it until it hit something solid, I assume the wellhead. Measured that out outside the house and have a small area of possibilities. Then used a metal detector and had two good hits.

So I'm going to dig it up by hand this spring while the ground is soft. Any idea how deep the wellhead is or what it looks like? I assume it's a 4" steel casing. Has a 1" plastic pipe for suction. And there is a check valve at the end in the well that does work great.

IO had the local well driller over and they said it's 50/50 on blowing it out, and around $500. But I have to get to it first. The soil is blow sand until it turns into clay about 10 ' down. Good water table as I'm not far from the local river.

Reach4

Reaction score
Any idea how deep the wellhead is or what it looks like? I assume it's a 4" steel casing.
I would suspect 2 inch steel. If 4 inch steel, you could get a piece welded with a pitless adapter. That would be great. You should probably use a Grundfos SQ 3 inch pump, although a slimline/trimline 4 inch pump could probably work.

That welded piece could be a 5 inch steel pipe with a trapezoidal pitless, or a 4 inch pipe with a clearway/thruway pitless adapter, such as the Merrill SMCK-4.

If 2 inch steel, you could possibly put in a new deep well jet system. Or get a new 5 inch well drilled with PVC casing and pitless. You might want to consider that for future low-drama water.

index.php

Regarding depth, find the frost line for your area, and think that depth or a little deeper.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks