Broken flange, what next?

Users who are viewing this thread

samix

Reaction score
hi everyone,
my brother in law retiled my guest bathroom and removed the toilet to replace it with a new one. when i looked at the abs flange it was cracked in two places. attached are pictures of what it looks like after removing the broken pieces. where do i go from here? the flange is glued into the main, larger pipe below. another forum recommended cutting the flange even with the main pipe, then using a saw to weaken the remaining piece and hammer and screwdriver to get the pieces out.

what do you think?

thanks for the help

Attachments

• flangea.jpg
    flangea.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 368
  • flangeb.jpg
    flangeb.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 371

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Take the broken one off the pipe and install a new one on top of the finished floor..

Preferably one with a stainless steel ring.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
*Hands Samix a paddle* Just kidding if that is 4" pipe they do make a flange that glues to the inside of the pipe. If it is 3" pipe its a lot more work involved. Either way you need to carefully remove the old flange from the pipe with out cracking the pipe.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is a good suggestion to remove the flange you got from the other forum. Obviously, you must work carefully so as not to break the good pipe. As suggested, if it is a 4" pipe, you can use an inside fitting flange. They do make an inside fitting flange for 3" pipe, but these should not be considered as they cut the diameter of the pipe too much. And, do get the stainless steel ring flange, and use #12 stainless steel screws to fasten the flange through the finished floor and into the sub floor.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

The picture is too vague to tell what size the pipe is, or whether the flange is secured to the inside or outside of the pipe. Depending on the answer to those questions, there may be an easy solution. When you do put the new flange on be sure it is NOT an all plastic one like you have now.

advertguy2

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Install a Kohler Persuade! :D Nothing gets bolted to the flange with a Kohler Persuade. Just set a wax ring on what you have. The toilet gets held down by some brackets located a few inches behind the flange that you bolt to the floor. It's an option and will give you a nice working dual flush toilet that is eas to clean and quite stylish. Pretty good pricing as well!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Install a Kohler Persuade! :D Nothing gets bolted to the flange with a Kohler Persuade. Just set a wax ring on what you have. The toilet gets held down by some brackets located a few inches behind the flange that you bolt to the floor. It's an option and will give you a nice working dual flush toilet that is eas to clean and quite stylish. Pretty good pricing as well!

Oh boy!
Are you related to TomW but have a Kohler Persuade fetish instead?:eek:

The Persuade adapter still needs a flange to fasten to...

advertguy2

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
I posted the Persuade suggestion partly to get you going Redwood :D and partly because it would work. There is noo adapter like the Toto Aquia II that bolts to the flange. So theoretically, it could be used on a broken flange.

samix

Reaction score
thanks for all the advice

the main pipe is 4" and the flange is 3"

so the flange is inside the main

should i leave this to a pro?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Put a large hose clamp around the outside of the pipe, to help keep the pipe from breaking....

Then commence to bustin it out...
Carefully!

Stuff a rag in the pipe to catch any pieces that might fall in the pipe.

Do you have access from below or are you on a slab?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I posted the Persuade suggestion partly to get you going Redwood :D and partly because it would work. There is noo adapter like the Toto Aquia II that bolts to the flange. So theoretically, it could be used on a broken flange.

You are correct that it may work on a broken flange. However, in order for it to work the broken flange would have to be supported in place quite well or movement of the flange would cause leakage of sewer gases. There is nothing in the information to tell us how well the broken flange is held in place.

As for the Kohler Persuade I can think of a few other reasons not to install one...

samix

Reaction score
on a slab

and from the looks of it the only thing supporting the flange is the glue used to glue it to the 4" pipe

longer i live in my place the more evidence i find of the previous owners corner-cutting

thanks for the help again

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Get an abs flange with a stainless steel ring like one of the flanges pictured below.

ssclosetflange_l.jpg

Pour hydraulic cement around the pipe to fill in the space and give the 6 screws something to bite into.

You can just push the screws into the cement after setting the flange while the cement is still wet.

The hydraulic cement dries quick and after it has set up you can reset the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks