Boiler gasket missing

Users who are viewing this thread

Ja101

Reaction score
Hello, I have 22 year old water tank conventional boiler in a rented house. While the burner was lit yesterday I smelt a very faint smell of gas. It was confirmed it was leaking only when heating up, and yesterday the gas engineer found there was no gasket under the burner.

It could have been like this years, so I wanted to know if a boiler missing a gasket like this would always leak gas? And although in seemed to only be a small amount that couldn't be smelt from outside the boiler cupboard, could a leak like this on a long term basis cause health issues?

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
The burner itself is only pressured while on, at a max of about 1/8 psi, draft will naturally pull the leaking gas along with expended gas, it may not be an immediate health problem but definitely not to be ignored.

It's common for older boilers to allow small amounts of gas to escape at ignition, I would take the "engineer"'s advice where he inspected it in person and we're interpreting your description. (maybe you meant technician/plumber)

Last edited:

Ja101

Reaction score
The burner itself is only pressured while on, at a max of about 1/8 psi, draft will naturally pull the leaking gas along with expended gas, it may not be an immediate health problem but definitely not to be ignored.

It's common for older boilers to allow small amounts of gas to escape at ignition, I would take the "engineer"'s advice where he inspected it in person and we're interpreting your description. (maybe you meant technician/plumber)
Thank you for your reply. They found there was no gasket after investigating the leak and are fixing it. The strange thing is it was serviced and gas safety checked a few months ago and no leaks or issues were detected, even though it didn't have a gasket back then. Is it possible for it not to leak gas if the gasket it missing?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Brand and model number of boiler since having a old water tank conventional boiler. Is it water heater for domestic hot water? Never seen one with a gasket under a burner.

Ja101

Reaction score
Brand and model number of boiler since having a old water tank conventional boiler. Is it water heater for domestic hot water? Never seen one with a gasket under a burner.
I may be wrong about it being under the burner, he said when he took the burner out he could see it was missing. Was called an electrode gasket. Not sure what that does? It's an old powermax boiler

Ja101

Reaction score
I may be wrong about it being under the burner, he said when he took the burner out he could see it was missing. Was called an electrode gasket. Not sure what that does? It's an old powermax boiler
Model is powermax range 140

Ja101

Reaction score
Having spoken to the boiler company I finally have the full picture. The boiler is a powermax range 140. The gas leak was from the electrode and they have confirmed is was when looking at this they discovered there was no burner gasket, and hasn't been for years. It has passed every yearly service and gas safety check for the last few years despite unknowingly having no gasket. I can't see how this is possible but sounds like it has been safe in the past despite the missing gasket as no carbon monoxide or gas leaks were detected during those visits. Does this sound right. Thank you for any input, I am very worried as have been living here for many years.

Fitter30

Reaction score
The only way to check for Co is with a flue analyser. They also check O2 and flue temp. CO usually i don't get excited unless its over 50ppm if other readings are in line some manufactures its 100 ppm. All the flue gas should go up the flue not into the house. Think with two machined joints with very little pressure 7" or under it might not leak or very little. Have a gas cook stove everytime a burner is burning or the oven is on there is CO produced.

Ja101

Reaction score
The only way to check for Co is with a flue analyser. They also check O2 and flue temp. CO usually i don't get excited unless its over 50ppm if other readings are in line some manufactures its 100 ppm. All the flue gas should go up the flue not into the house. Think with two machined joints with very little pressure 7" or under it might not leak or very little. Have a gas cook stove everytime a burner is burning or the oven is on there is CO produced.
Thank you for your reply Fitter. They analysed it as you said for Co and found it safe and without leaks every year despite the missing gasket, so hopefully it was safe from CO coming in to the house in the past. I have also checked in the cupboard where it is stored and there are no black marks at all on the ceiling etc which apparently can be a sign of a carbon dioxide leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks