Boiler Seems to Fire up a bit "strong"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim Fastle

Reaction score
Our home is about 4300 sf and we have radiant baseboard heating. About 2 years ago we replaced the boiler with a 166,000 btu Weil-McLain, Model # CGa-6PIDN, natural gas. Our prior boiler had a pilot light, this one has an ignitor. We are happy with the unit but one thing has bothered me since it was installed – when the burner comes on it seems there is very strong flame ignition force or sound. Almost as if the ignitor is coming on a tad late and the camber may already have a bit more gas than is ideal causing a strong “wooshing” of air. It’s not extreme but enough where I notice it every time it ignites up. If memory serves, our prior boiler lit up very smoothly.

I guess my question is, would this be normal for a boiler with an ignitor vs a pilot light or is there some sort of adjustment that governs this? It’s not a huge deal if this is standard but if it shouldn’t be that way I would like to know.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tim Fastle

Reaction score

Attachments

• FlameB.jpg
    FlameB.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 50

Fitter30

Reaction score
Flame looks good. Brand and numbers off the gas valve? Most manufacturers are using a fast opening valve just want to check.

Tim Fastle

Reaction score
Flame looks good. Brand and numbers off the gas valve? Most manufacturers are using a fast opening valve just want to check.
Sorry for the slow reply, getting this picture was more difficult than I thought it would be. I think it has the numbers you want.

As for my original question, I actually think the noise I hear is the door to the mechanical room gently being pushed against the jamb. While taking the pictures and such, with the door open, it fires up smoothly. I wrote this in my last reply but for some reason it needs to be opened or clicked on.

Thanks very much for the information and input!

Attachments

• IMG_4464B.jpg
    IMG_4464B.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 50

Tim Fastle

Reaction score
If you can't read the numbers (I had to crop and resized due to file size) here is just the label.

Attachments

• IMG_4464Label.jpg
    IMG_4464Label.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 48

Fitter30

Reaction score
Gas valve is a standard fast opening valve and burners look like their air opening is non adjustable. Doubt if there is anything that can be done. Maybe check burner gas pressure.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
......As for my original question, I actually think the noise I hear is the door to the mechanical room gently being pushed against the jamb. While taking the pictures and such, with the door open, it fires up smoothly.........
It means the boiler room is lacking air. If there is not widow in the boiler room, you should add a ventilation grate on the door since there seems to be enough air from the outside room.

Tim Fastle

Reaction score
I appreciate the reply. There is not a window in the boiler room but there is a dedicated air vent from the roof as well as a 3" gap along the bottom of the door and the flame seems to be a nice blue color and fully burning the fuel. What specifically about what I have described would indicate the boiler room is lacking air? If indeed it is lacking air, I definitely want to address it.
Thanks

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
If the boiler was lacking air the flame would be yellow and the blue would be lazy.
His issue is the initial start up. When the boiler room door is fully open, he doesn’t get the whooshing sound on initial.

Tim Fastle

Reaction score
I appreciate what you are saying and I probably didn't do a great job explaining the difference in the sound with the door open. I still get the sound of burners lighting (that mildly deep sound like a Harley about 300 yards away giving a quick and slight twist of the throttle). What I don't get with the door open is, what I thought was a pressure thump. What I realized was that, with the increase in pressure the closed door would gently push very lightly thump on the .jamb. I mistook the sound of the door contacting the jamb as more of a powerful air thump. At least, to me that's what it seems. Although I will keep and eye on it.

Thanks for all of the feedback, it's been very helpful.

Fitter30

Reaction score
There is a pilot adjustment screw under a short round screw on th top side of valve with gasket possibly. Need a thin bladed screw driver like a pocket kind. Pilot might be to large. Turn screw 1/8 turn cw fire boiler. No change turn 1/4 ccw fire boiler.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
I think you're ok since its been like this for years and having a 3" pipe to feed air.

I would add, not already have one, place carbon monoxide detector in the outside room. Instructions will advise the best location. Probably about 3-5 feet from the boiler door. They're not expensive but do have a life use limit.

To help with the door thumping on startup, place small felt self stick tabs in the jam and it will prevent it moving at all or lower silence of the thump. In all my homes, I've added these that helps with the slamming noise when closing any door.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks