Water flow is down to trickle none to toilets.

Users who are viewing this thread

JnE2016

Reaction score
Back again with more problems..
So after my last problem of having no water for a good 6 months it turned out to be the check valve. And than my t post cracked and was shooting water out of it.

Since than it's been fine till this last 2 weeks my plumbing got clogged and water flow had been slowing more each day.

I ended up getting a auger and septic emptied. Water still pretty much non existent.
The tank has the right air pressure and the water pressure gauge on the t pipe doesn't read anything and hasn't since the last fiasco, I replaced it still nothing but I had water so wasn't worried.

Pressure gauge under the house is around 5ish, on 3-4gpm well.

In the last 6 months it's had new check valve, pressure gauge, t pipe, and pressure switch.

I don't want another winter with no water, anyone have an idea?
I don't have a filter to clean at least not in pump house.

JnE2016

Reaction score
I forgot to mention pump is 1hp and close to 400ft well.
All well related items are less than 4yrs old some less than 8 months.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you close the valve after the pressure tank , does the pressure at the pressure gauge rise?

Measure the current thru one of the hot wires at the pressure switch. Use a clamp-around ammeter.

JnE2016

Reaction score
I will check the amps in the am, but he gauge doesn't work or just not reading any pressure. And I've replaced it.
Also since it's a mobile home I have a spigot coming out at the end of the house and water comes out okay but I can stop the flow completely just by putting my finger against it......

I'm thinking maybe a cracked pipe other wise why else would it not build pressure like a hose when you put your finger over it?

Reach4

Reaction score
A cracked pipe down the well can produce that symptom. A leak where the water goes somesomewhere that you don't see could do that, and that is why I suggested closing that valve. Is it likely there is an undetected big leak after the valve? No. But since you have the valve, it is easy to try.

If the well water has gone too deep, expect lower amps. If a hole in the drop pipe, expect higher amps. If the problem is a failed pump, probably low amps, but not necessarily.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
From the short length of time it lasted I would suspect a hole in the pipe just above the pump or check valve. Guessing from the depth it has some galvanized pipe or fittings and when screwed into a brass or Stainless pump or check valve the two dissimilar metals will cause electrolysis and quickly eat a hole in a galv fitting. Electric tape over the two dissimilar metals will prevent that from happening. If the pump is drawing max amps, there is a hole in the pipe.

JnE2016

Reaction score
I looked under the house and turned on the spigot and plugged it couldn't hear or see any water leaking under

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
After re-reading your posts, if it is hung on plastic pipe the pipe may have gotten hot and leaking at the threads. Sometimes the pump will fall off completely. With only a 3-4 GPM well you could have pumped the well dry, and/or the clogged lines could have restricted the flow so much the pump got hot and melted the pipe. Still a hole, just depends on if it is plastic or steel pipe.

JnE2016

Reaction score
............would it be possible that a clogged Mainline would kill all pressure? The septic guy that came out that emptied the tank said if there's a clog it would kill the flow Aswell.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
............would it be possible that a clogged Mainline would kill all pressure? The septic guy that came out that emptied the tank said if there's a clog it would kill the flow Aswell.
Well yeah! If you have a place to check the output of the pump at the well head would be best.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
clogs usually kill flow not pressure unless its completely plugged then its zero even a trickle builds pressuree

Bannerman

Reaction score
would it be possible that a clogged Mainline would kill all pressure?
If the mainline was plugged, the pump wouldn't be moving much if any water, so the pump will not be working hard and so will draw fewer amps.

As Valveman said, 9.9 amps will be consumed when that pump is working at maximum load, which will mean the pump is moving the maximum amount of water possible for that pump.

Reach4

Reaction score
You would have a well company pull the pump, inspect, and repair.

Take photos of two pump nameplates while the pump is up.

Take measurements of how far down the waterline is. There may be a mark on the pipe.

Measure how deep the pump sits.

But, is there a way to find the hole without pulling the pump? I think if you can pressurize the drop pipe with air. The pressure at which the air bubbles out would tell you how far down the hole is. I am not a pro.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks