Black jelly growing in my bathroom sink drains, what do I do

Users who are viewing this thread

DirtyJerz

Reaction score
I've got some black jelly growing in my bathroom sink drain.

Cleaned everything out a few months ago when it basically stopped draining, but now it's back and I can actually see it slowly growing out of the drain pipe into the strainer.

What is this stuff and how do I stop it from growing? The tubing is brass. Only thing that happens in this sink is brushing teeth and washing hands.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is that all 1.5 inch pipe? Generally better to use 1.25" under a vanity.

I would make a bleach solution and fill the sink with it, then pull the drain stopper and let er flow as fast as you can. Try to kill whatever is growing in your pipes. After a bleaching maybe a monthly vinager wash.

DirtyJerz

Reaction score
it's 1.5 in the wall but all the piping before that is 1.25.

(out of curiosity, why is smaller better?)

as far as bleach, what ratio of bleach to water? happy to pour just undiluted but suspect that's not ideal.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
it's 1.5 in the wall but all the piping before that is 1.25.

(out of curiosity, why is smaller better?)

as far as bleach, what ratio of bleach to water? happy to pour just undiluted but suspect that's not ideal.
The bigger the pipe the slower it flows. Smaller pipe flows faster and helps keep things cleaner.

The ratio is maybe a third bleach to water. I'm not sure.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is odd less than a year old and its 1 1/2 tubular brass ? I never use 1 1/4 traps and dont see them in use much at all localy. I cant guess what this is .

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok its 1 1/4 " well darn it why did you not run 1 1/2 " LOL just kidding I cant tell you why this black jelly came take it apart clean it and try again.

Reach4

Reaction score
Take apart the trap. Block the trap, perhaps with plastic sheet and rubber bands.

Initially close the stopper. Put maybe 1/2 cup of bleach in the basin. Add water until the water rises higher than the overflow holes. Open the stopper. Let it sit for a couple hours, but maybe also brush the area that got stuff growing with an old toothbrush or test tube brush.

After the time, put a container under the trap, and remove the plugging material. Reassemble the trap.

I have not tested this. It just seems like it should work.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think if you get the whole surface wet with bleach, and just let it sit, it will kill whatever is growing. If you wanted to do it a couple times that should be fine. You don't want too much bleach too regularly, but vinegar is also unhospitable to whatever it's breeding in there. I think after bleach and a some regular vinager washing it will stop. I would guess something "took root" and is gonna need some killing.

bingow

Reaction score
Take apart the trap. Block the trap, perhaps with plastic sheet and rubber bands...Initially close the stopper. Put maybe 1/2 cup of bleach in the basin. Add water until the water rises higher than the overflow holes....
I've not seen any black stuff growing in our upstairs lav, but every few months we get a mild septic odor. Without taking apart anything, we pour some Liquid Plumr (modified bleach) into the sink, close the stopper, tape over the overflow and leave overnight.
Sometimes use a small diameter hose to direct the liquid through the overflow, then tape.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks