Bathtub P Trap direction

Users who are viewing this thread

Gene.m

Reaction score
Does it matter which way the P trap is position. I know it cannot be an S Trap but are there dos and donts regarding the direction after the trap. Im trying to fit a vent in the plumbing wall where my shower head copper runs and I was wondering if this will work or any other way I can turn the trap. I need to turn it because the bathtub drain is dead center of the no cut zone in the floor joists. You can see that I had to sister the old joists because the previous plumbers, probably when the house was built, cut in the wrong spots. Its 1 1/2" pipe and trap. There is 3" between the trap and the wye to prevent an S Trap. Thank you for you help.

20161212_215404.jpg
20161212_215415.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can twist the p-trap and change the direction any amount where it will still fit without issues.

Gene.m

Reaction score
The distance between the trap and the "Y" has NOTHING to do with being an "S" trap.
You are correct. I can put the y closer to the trap then. It will help me with the space issue.

Stuff

Reaction score
There is a minimum trap weir to vent distance but looks like you are OK.
Horizontal distance from trap weir to inner edge of vent shall be within distance in Table 10-1, but not closer than 2 times the diameter of the trap arm.
P3105.3 Crown vent. A vent shall not be installed within two pipe diameters of the trap weir.

DIYluke

Reaction score
Does that rule, min 2x pipe diameter to avoid being a crown vent, also apply to wet vents or only dry vents?

Stuff

Reaction score
I don't see any distinction in the code. Wet or dry - 2x is it. For dry vents the reasoning seems to be to keep junk from getting in the vent and blocking it. For wet I haven't seen but would think for a true crown vent the discharge from above could push waste water out the trap and into the fixture.