Bathroom sink (lav)- ideas to change setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Boris

Reaction score
Hi, plumbing pros! Need your help and ideas reg reinstall of plumbing for bath sink i did about 1.5 years ago. This setup as you can see is a DYI work. It was working fine till last week. Now it is a slow drain. I disassembled parts - all look clean inside. If you think that this setup wrong/doesn't make sense, please let me know what parts I need to buy at HD/Lowes to change it. Also, how can I troubleshoot slow drain? Bath sink is on the second floor of the house and pipes face exterior wall. Thanks!!!

Attachments

• WP_20180325_11_12_49_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180325_11_12_49_Pro.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 198
  • WP_20180325_11_12_26_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180325_11_12_26_Pro.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 205
Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I disassembled parts - all look clean inside.
If you inspected all of the way to the trap adapter at the wall, your drain line in the wall needs rodding out.
If you think that this setup wrong/doesn't make sense, please let me know what parts I need to buy at HD/Lowes to change it.
Your setup is wrong and ugly, but I don't think that is causing your slow draining. Your "water seal" looks possibly excessive. It should be no more than 4 inches.

800px-P-trap.svg.png

Boris

Reaction score
Reach4, thank you!
I will try to use 1/4 inch x 20ft drain auger to unclog.

I understand that current setup is not ideal, but I could not find right parts in Lowes or HD and was hoping you can tell what parts I need to buy to change this setup.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you have not already, take apart the pop-up drain assy and remove the big wad of hair that is stuck on the rod inside the tailpiece.

hair-in-drain.jpg

Boris

Reaction score
Like I said before in my first post, I already disassembled each part in the setup - none of the connections are clogged.
Just visited HD & Lowes. Spoke in both with their plumbing people - there is nothing they sell that I can use to change the connections I have now. The problem is that A/C line is too low. So if I want to change this, I would need to get plumber to extend it up or leave the current config as it is.

Attached is a pic that shows drainage and A/C inlets.

Attachments

• WP_20180325_13_37_07_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180325_13_37_07_Pro.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 192

Reach4

Reaction score
I will try to use 1/4 inch x 20ft drain auger to unclog.
You might consider a professional with a machine with a bigger cutter on the end.

Do you have any access below? Basement, crawlspace?

In the morning, after things have settled, can you put more water in before it backs up? If so, the amount of water it will take first thing could help estimate where the clog is.

Boris

Reaction score
In Austin, TX there are no basements. It's a 2 story 91 built house.

I will try to unclog the lines in a moment and if doesn't work will get plumber's help tomorrow .

Boris

Reaction score
after uncloging A/C and water drainage inlets pipes - water is flowing normally. it was not terribly stuffed though.

my 'improvised' temp connection setup works for now - even uglier than before and about 15 degrees angle. interestingly it works for now - no dripping.

Attachments

• WP_20180325_17_54_06_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180325_17_54_06_Pro.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 202

Reach4

Reaction score
Cool. I was thinking it was the lavatory draining slowly rather than the AC.

WorthFlorida

6th clinical trail chemotherapy 5/15/24
Solutions
Reaction score
It appears from the picture that the p trap outlet to the wall pipe is uphill! Therefore the AC drain is dripping into a pipe filled with water and probably standing water in the ac drain pipe.

Boris

Reaction score
I posted picture in the middle of the thread how inlets for A/C line and water drain line look like before all piping connections I made. Water drain inlet just a little below the a/c.
I would appreciate if you let me know the better setup with a picture. I can't bring A/C line higher w/out taking out bathroom sink cabinet (it's 72'' long!). When/if we do remodel for master bath down the road, I will make sure the pipe will be installed properly.