Bathroom remodel.Tub removal and shower install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Big difference between a 4" curb and the sides of the tub...
Code says showers are 2" it is what it is!
Florida Orange is correct the 2" is an underground minimum and it should be very close.
The next thing we were going to hear was can I plut my shower on a pedastal and run automotive radiator hose over to the existing drain...:eek:

How far off was I?

There is a right way and a wrong way.
Personally If I'm not doing it right I don't do it!
If you are going to do Pig Slop Plumbing work you don't need to ask me how to do it...:cool:

Last edited:

AZoutlaw

Reaction score
Big difference between a 4" curb and the sides of tha tub...
Code says showers are 2" it is what it is!
Florida Orange is correct the 2" is an underground minimum and it should be very close.
The next thing we were going to hear was can I plut my shower on a pedastal and run automotive radiator hose over to the existing drain...:eek:

That is the plan now!! Thanks.:D

I totally understand quality work. I am just trying to figure out code logic.(Seems impossible)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Your tub may even have a 2"trap with a 1 1/2" adapter where it connects to the trap. In that case it only has to move to where the shower drain will land.

AZoutlaw

Reaction score
So what would the proper way be to remove the concrete without damaging other pipes?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
So what would the proper way be to remove the concrete without damaging other pipes?

With a concrete saw that you can rent. For a small area I don't know if it would be worth getting a wet saw - dry saws throw a lot of dust in the air but you can tarp off a room or area without too much dificulty. You set the blade to be just below the thickness of your slab, cut and then lift out as a peice if you're lucky or you bust out a sledge hammer and/or chisel.

AZoutlaw

Reaction score
CHANGE OF PLANS!!! Putting the tub back in! Reusing existing plumbing. Yeah!:D

AZoutlaw

Reaction score
yeah seriously. To get to the main drain it looks like i need to get into the adjacent bathroom and that is way too much work.

AZoutlaw

Reaction score
Your tub may even have a 2"trap with a 1 1/2" adapter where it connects to the trap. In that case it only has to move to where the shower drain will land.
I talked to a friend of a friend who is a plumber and he thought the same thing.

Maybe i can try the concrete cutting. what are the chances of damaging the other pipes.
Here is what I am looking at. Maybe it will be easy but I am over nervous.

Attachments

• Image008.jpg
    Image008.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 234
  • Image015.jpg
    Image015.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 248

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'd start digging that dirt out of the existing hole following the pipe and see if the trap comes into view...

nothing to get scared about...

AZoutlaw

Reaction score
All busted out. I see the p-trap it is 2". The vent is only 1.5 and runs into the 3" stack to the roof.
Now if I replace the p-trap with a new one(the only place to get a cut and fit a new piece is between the trap and the main line) and run 2" to the drain, should all be good?? Also can I make the p-trap go deeper so I can fit my shower drain more easily??

Attachments

• drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You got it Bud!
Weren't that easy!
Thanks for not wimping out on us!:cool:

Now all you have to do is bust a trench to the new drain location.

AZoutlaw

Reaction score
Thanks for the push. Believe me I will need some more of it down the road.;)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

One question that has not been asked is that you stated the overflow had a vent, or at least that is what we took it to mean. IF so, what size is that vent, because some homes have the air conditioner condensate drain connected to the tub drain, and if you have that situation, you WILL need to do something about it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Now that you're getting the drain squared away, be aware that the best place for it is centered in your new shower, not close to one end or edge.

For some help with building the tiled shower, check out www.johnbridge.com. Check out www.schluter.com and review Kerdi. A good way to build a shower.

AZoutlaw

Reaction score
got the drain all piped and it is running down towards the main line a hair more that 1/4 per foot. The drain flange fits nice and level too. Now how much perimeter do i need to leave around the drain line going down? Is it okay to replace my concrete i took out?

Attachments

• Drain.jpg
    Drain.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

AZoutlaw

Reaction score
One question that has not been asked is that you stated the overflow had a vent, or at least that is what we took it to mean. IF so, what size is that vent, because some homes have the air conditioner condensate drain connected to the tub drain, and if you have that situation, you WILL need to do something about it.
IT is a 1.5" vent that runs into the 3" stack.

Attachments

• Vent.jpg
    Vent.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks