Bath sink with AC drain line clogged - pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Would you recommend to invest in something like RIDGID 35473 or Milwaukee M18 FUEL 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless when on sale?
RIDGID 57043 for $41 not up to your needs? Feeds and retracts when you use it with your reversible drill.

While not the best way, I used a RIDGID PowerSpin Plus Model# 57043 through a lavatory drain and through a 1-1/4 trap. I was expecting to disassemble the trap, but I tried through the trap just in case it worked. It may not work that way for you. I felt lucky. It saved catching the trap water, and made it easy to run water while operating. My drain was a bit unusual in that the strainer basket just lifted out.

Last edited:

Boris

Reaction score
RIDGID 57043 for $41 not up to your needs? Feeds and retracts when you use it with your reversible drill.

While not the best way, I used a RIDGID PowerSpin Plus Model# 57043 through a lavatory drain and through a 1-1/4 trap. I was expecting to disassemble the trap, but I tried through the trap just in case it worked. It may not work that way for you. I felt lucky. It saved catching the trap water, and made it easy to run water while operating. My drain was a bit unusual in that the strainer basket just lifted out.

Good point. I will check this model. Thank you!

Boris

Reaction score
On another topic :) What is recommended?
Should I close all PVC pipe openings with caps or leave at least one in open? Or it does not matter? Pics attached.

IMG_20200705_212457380.jpg
IMG_20200705_212526938.jpg

Bannerman

Reaction score
The lines leading to the sink drains should be uncapped, but caps should be installed on the openings leading directly from the evaporator coils within the air handlers

I anticipate conditioned air will be blowing from the uncapped openings into the attic space while the air handler blower is operating, which may also be carrying some of the condensed water up the vent tube into the attic space.

Removing the caps from the lines leading to the sink drains will provide a vent so the water flowing to the sink drains can not create a vacuum in the line. A vacuum in the drain line could prevent water from flowing freely to drain, and would also cause air to enter through the sink drain so as to relieve the vacuum created.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are the following number correct?

A typical furnace blower can create around 0.8" w.c. pressure differential across the fan. The return ducting is often shorter/larger than the supply ducting, but it has a filter on it, so the pressure on the supply side may be about 0.5" w.c. above ambient, and the pressure on the return side about 0.3" w.c. below ambient. So with the caps rearranged, when the blower is running, the water in the shallow PVC condensate drain trap will be about 0.5" lower on the blower side than the drain side, but it looks like the trap is deep enough to accommodate that without losing trap seal.

Or maybe I'm off by 0.1" or 0.2" w.c. here and there?

Cheers, Wayne

Bannerman

Reaction score
but it looks like the trap is deep enough to accommodate that without losing trap seal
The manufacturer of the AC equipment will typically specify the appropriate minimum trap depth to anticipate the pressure differential between the pressurized supply where the evaporator drain pan will be located, to the ambient conditions where the condensate is to be drained. The open vent after the trap is to ensure the pressure after the trap remains at atmospheric pressure as well as to prevent an airlock condition within the drain line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks