Basement Rough-in Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul Arnold

Reaction score
So I pulled the upright out of the toilet waste drain in the basement, and found sediment, standing water, some sort of tiny larvae and some small winged bugs ... please tell me that this is a normal find. (Yes the upright wasn't glued in place, so now I'm concerned that the job was not completed correctly.)

Question: I have dumped a pail of water down the drain and now the sediment and beasties are gone, but there is about an inch and a half of standing clear water left in the drain - is this acceptable? Shouldn't a rough-in - installed as part of the new home build - meet code (if this doesn't)?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
What are are you referring to with these terms?
  1. upright
  2. toilet waste drain

Paul Arnold

Reaction score
What are are you referring to with these terms?
  1. upright
  2. toilet waste drain
1.) The piece that comes up from the elbow and through the concrete on the 3" abs pipe (picture attached is for illustration purposes and is not my actual installation.) * the pipe came away at the elbow.
basement roughin 1.jpg

2.) toilet waste drain = "waste pipe", "toilet waste pipe", "sanitary pipe", or some other term that I am unsure of. It is the 3 inch abs pipe that will connect to the flange that connects to a toilet.

Paul Arnold

Reaction score
The riser may have been left "loose" so its length could be adjusted before the toilet was installed. I have done it at times.
Thanks HJ.

Any thoughts on the water that doesn't clear? (Looking again today, it's about 3/4 of an inch to an inch deep at the elbow.)

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks