Basement finishing - making a cleanout flush

Users who are viewing this thread

jimhar66

Reaction score
Finishing my basement and was looking for some advice on a cleanout I have on the slab. I attached photos.

Unfortunately the builder put the cleanout right in front of a window so I really can't cover it with some furniture.

Plan on using LVT flooring and wondered if I could make things flush and just have a finished plate or circular piece of LVT on top of plug. Maybe something like the 140-4 series described here: https://www.petersenproducts.com/pi...re-0/pipe-plug-flush-mounted-140-4-5-series-0 I assume this has a gasket that tightens into the pipe?

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20230926_083014.jpg
    20230926_083014.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230926_083628.jpg
    20230926_083628.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 68

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks to me that you could trim the first couple of threads off of the dermal portion in the concrete. Then just screw that plug back into it.

Or possibly even better use some dope on the threads and screw the plug all the way down into the female portion. It should go quite a ways below flush with the floor. Then cut the portion of the threads that's still sticking up.

You will want to cut slowly with a fine tooth blade. You should be able to work the plug back in and out after you've cut the excess. But with dope as lube (use plenty) the plug should go all the way down way below flush.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Definately worth trying to screw it down and cut it off as john said . its also pretty easy to de-bond the Tom Cap fitting and peel it out, and glue in a new fitting lower but I think thatll work too. Concrete finish is often a bit wavy around a pipe through a slab so just check that if you are particular about how the floor looks there

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks