Antique tub faucet name and safe remove

Users who are viewing this thread

HandyGal

Reaction score
Hello, this bathroom has lots of old stuff dated 1929 up to 1980. I want to update this without damaging anything. What is this type of tub faucet called and how can I safely remove it? It's like half of a ball. The tub has no overflow.

20210214_214631.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wow! You have three different handles there and I'm assuming that the water to the tub comes out where the overflow would normally be.
Is there still galvanized piping in the walls? And do you have access to the back of that wall?

HandyGal

Reaction score
Wow! You have three different handles there and I'm assuming that the water to the tub comes out where the overflow would normally be.
Is there still galvanized piping in the walls? And do you have access to the back of that wall?
Without some wall demo, I don't have access to the pipes. Yes, the water comes out where an overflow usually is. Hopefully this won't be as much of a nightmare as the toilet and rotten lathe style subfloor that was under it. It had ci rusted flange, attached to ci pipe with old lead and rope that had to be drilled and chiseled out (see below).

20210213_110807.jpg
20210213_114139.jpg
20210213_173252.jpg
20210214_231330.jpg

HandyGal

Reaction score
I'm wondering if this was some odd cowboy workaround changing it from a claw foot tub to what's there now. There's a bedroom on the other side of this bathroom wall, no access panels or anything.

HandyGal

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll check this out! So would you remove this faucet the same way as a more traditional one, then? The tub is in excellent condition and just needs elbow grease and replacement fixtures to look nice again.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A potential problem with that tub setup is that because the water filler is under the flood level of the fixture, it has no backflow prevention. I couldn't service it without fixing that issue either with some form of vacuum breaker/air gap or total replacement. I ran into one a few years ago and we couldn't access the fittings to separate the filler from the water supply. Ended up not doing any work in that bathroom.

I just found photos that may show the backside of that faucet.

behind-tub-1.jpg

behind-tub-2.jpg

Behind Tub.jpg Behind Tub.jpg

Last edited:

HandyGal

Reaction score
I think I'll have to open up 1 wall to do this right. I was hoping at first to find a 3 knob fixture something like this and replace the odd round faucet, and even looked at more Victorian types of fixtures. I haven't found a 3 knob wall mount fixture that will lead up into an exposed shower pipe with shower ring, but that would be my 1st choice. I still have the problem of putting in overflow too.

Screenshot_20210216-163511_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210216-161604_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210214-113542_Samsung Internet.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I were looking at this project as a professional estimator, I would advise against trying to reuse the tub with the filler as it is. The tub could stay, but the drain assembly and the water supply would be completely separated. I would rework the entirety of it so that the filler is a spout above the flood level. In the end you will have all modern working fixtures and a lot less potential of failure down the road. We have been installing a lot of external mounted shower systems. I think you're looking at the signature hardware site. I would look at what they have that is thermostatic valves.

something like this.
https://www.signaturehardware.com/b...pipe-tub-and-shower-set-with-hand-shower.html

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think a normal waste and overflow will work. replace all that with new p trap. then just replace your tub /shower valve with what ever you want. I dont think the valve you showed on the free standing tub is proper for this tub . but with 1100 dollars to budget plenty of choices around youll like I hope . why exposed shower pipe ? not sure they look good with this type tub

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your existing valve was made by the Crane Co. All of the valve parts and most of the trim are still available. An updated or modern trim would be a big challenge. Also the tub does have an overflow inside the waste fitting shown by Tuttle. The 2" pipe in his photo has a stopper and overflow pipe connected to the linkage going through the cap. Other than some new trim the tub wall or back wall will most likely need to be opened up to make changes.

HandyGal

Reaction score
Wow! They still make parts for these? That's amazing! I can't wait to look this up and see what they have! I was only looking at exposed shower pipe to hopefully not tear up the walls to add a shower. It would be nice to keep a vintage look to go with the bathtub and sinks which are all in good shape and look great with elbow grease. The kitchen sink may need a new strainer assembly (hope it's a standard size), but sinks are good.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your existing valve was made by the Crane Co. All of the valve parts and most of the trim are still available. An updated or modern trim would be a big challenge. Also the tub does have an overflow inside the waste fitting shown by Tuttle. The 2" pipe in his photo has a stopper and overflow pipe connected to the linkage going through the cap. Other than some new trim the tub wall or back wall will most likely need to be opened up to make changes.

Cool its actualy a combinatio tub fill/overflow. thought it might be. I run across tis old stuff rarely.
Did a major remodel on a 1920s mansion formerly owned by one of the Montgomery Ward department store founders in La Canada Ca. Some much of it orginal and in good condition really sadened me to demo it all out. the new owner had just purchased for 4 million and wanted it a little more liveable and new. but I hated what he did to his beautiful master bath. But the plumbers vote dosent count and it fed me for a minute.
Personal decision s for handy gal to make. not really right or wrong but pretty much permanant.
Big help to her Marinman Im supprised you knew it be Crane well should be serviceable if thats the route she wants

HandyGal

Reaction score
That would break my heart to demo stuff in usable condition! Imho, a lot of older stuff was made to last instead of wearing out and throwing it away. I want to keep any/all vintage fixtures I can because I like them. The sinks and tub has cleaned up beautifully! Hopefully the electrician would let me still use the push button light switches. I love seeing usable vintage stuff from demos being sold online to folks who will use and appreciate them. I hope you got some nice photos of the 20s stuff! I bet that old master bath was a beautiful work of art!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
That would break my heart to demo stuff in usable condition! Imho, a lot of older stuff was made to last instead of wearing out and throwing it away. I want to keep any/all vintage fixtures I can because I like them. The sinks and tub has cleaned up beautifully! Hopefully the electrician would let me still use the push button light switches. I love seeing usable vintage stuff from demos being sold online to folks who will use and appreciate them. I hope you got some nice photos of the 20s stuff! I bet that old master bath was a beautiful work of art!
It was beautiful the new work was real nice too definately more comfortable . many good features .

HandyGal

Reaction score
I'm sure it was very luxurious, fit for a king. New features do provide a lot of comfort for sure!

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The stem assembly is most likely to be the top one # LF480101. The valve seat listed is size 11/16-22 thread and can be removed with a 7/16 allen wrench. The handles are Hot # 147090 and Cold # 147230. Hopefully my handle attachment will open. These handles are exactly like the originals. From the photos the valve looks to be good working order.

porc-hot-150x150.jpg

IemaKxRbIBkq335F1nikA5fdA3PjxRKkpfG1IqP8k4UxMlD1SdctP6RJstX7_b40sp1zhv2AzXRV5cr5FpiRgXmpU-bm5Kdv_0qvj6lnfuFzdncaKdlh2Y6hXAROWN9rWasikA

Attachments

• [Untitled] (64).pdf
    50.2 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks