ANoDE

Users who are viewing this thread

Ydhtbiotsao

Reaction score
I tried to replace a 5 year old anode last year. I rented an impact wrench. It wouldn't budge, but I kept trying. Now the head is rounded off quite a bit. I guess I'll just have to get a new water heater in a few years. Or does anyone have any ideas?
But I really wonder why the anode head sits recessed down where stripping it is much more likely! It takes a 1 and 1/16 inch socket, if I remember correctly, which is a good size. Why not have it sit right up there on top - easy to put an open end wrench on it and use a breaker-bar to get it loose? Usually money is the answer, but really - being that obvious - not even deceitful - or more cleverly so? Really - why is it made so hard to get to?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The tank fitting is just a welded FIP adapter, so just a cheap choice from the mfrs I'm guessing. Maybe it is welded shut.
You don't need to go the removal route, there are plenty of articulated rods with nipple, so you don't need to go the hard way of removing that plug at all. https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Flexible-Anode-Nipple-Style/dp/B01LTAUC3O?th=1
41-TfrmhnVL._AC_SS130_.jpg

Ydhtbiotsao

Reaction score
The tank fitting is just a welded FIP adapter, so just a cheap choice from the mfrs I'm guessing. Maybe it is welded shut.
You don't need to go the removal route, there are plenty of articulated rods with nipple, so you don't need to go the hard way of removing that plug at all. https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Flexible-Anode-Nipple-Style/dp/B01LTAUC3O?th=1
41-TfrmhnVL._AC_SS130_.jpg
Thanks for your reply, but I didn't understand. First of all, the mfrs sent me a free replacement anode for my RHEEM Performance +. I had to ask for it. After quite a bit of research, I did find a way to ask for it. So it would be nice to get the old anode out and use the replacement.

Reach4

Reaction score
Why not have it sit right up there on top - easy to put an open end wrench on it and use a breaker-bar to get it loose? Usually money is the answer, but really - being that obvious - not even deceitful - or more cleverly so? Really - why is it made so hard to get to?
They used to be easier to get to, but I think they became more recessed when the manufacturers added more insulation. But if your impact socket cannot fully get onto the bolt, then doing surgery with a hot screwdriver to remove the plastic around the steel hole might allow that access.

But if you had had good access from the beginning, you probably would have had a hard time removing the bolt. They tighten those needless hard during manufacture. If you do get the old anode out, don't tighten the new one as much. I think 15 ft-lbs should be plenty.

The tool of choice would be a 6-point socket with minimal chamfer (rounded edge). A 12 point wrench or an open end wrench is more likely to round off the head. I tried to find a suitable socket win no chamfer. You could grind the chamfer off the end of the socket. Don't get the socket too hot. But if the hex head is already rounded off, that little extra that you get without chamfer may not be enough.

Did you understand Breplum's "with nipple"? I think maybe you did, but did not want to buy a new anode with a nipple, when you already have a new anode.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't weld. But I wonder if somebody could weld a nut onto the top of a rounded anode head, and turn the nut to pull the anode.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its really a matter of how much time are you willing to put into it. weld a nut on top of the rounded I thgink a bit of a waste of time but Ive seen that trick befor just not on an anode but on rounded off bolts . Breplum made a totaly realistic suggestion another realistic choice is ignore it buy a new heater when this one fails
The nut being recessed isnt a manufacture flaw or cheap way out You gotta have basic hand tools an 1 1/16th socket isnt that bad to use

bingow

Reaction score
On a different but similar rounded nut problem, I placed a layer of brass shim stock over the nut so that the socket had to be hammered on, then used a 3' cheater pipe. But it sounds like this one is too far gone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks