Alcove shower question

Users who are viewing this thread

BrandonMat74

Reaction score
Hi all first time poster
Here's my dilemma. After measuring my old walk in shower, I came away with 58 1/2 inches. Taking away the wallboard and tile that should mean i have a 60" opening.
So I rip out everything and lo an behold I have a 59 5/8 opening. On order and waiting to be delivered is my shower base which according to the specs is 60" x 36".
I have no ability to move walls as one is an outside wall and the other has a bathtub on the other side of it.

So here is my question. I currently have notched the one wall bottom plate 3/8 of an inch and each stud 3/8 back 4" high to make room.
This should allow my pan to fit in. From what the specs tell me the pan should have a 1 inch nailing flange and then a 1 7/8 lip to accept CB and tile.
I plan on installing the base and then having the cement board come down onto the lip although it will leave a space between of 3/8 to the nailing strip.
Does anyone see an issue with this besides look. I realize that I will not have as much reveal on the faucet side but I'm ok with that. I'm just wondering if that 3/8 gap could pose a problem or if I should fill with either shim or low expansion foam
Anyways hopefully this isn't too confusing if need be i can attach a pic possibly
Thanks all!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks