Adding RO to island sink

Users who are viewing this thread

skrid216

Reaction score
This probably is a stupid question, but my contractor installed a drain pipe rather high in my new island. I was able to hook up the garbage disposal by cutting down the black tail pipe to fit within the p trap.

I am now adding a RO system under the sink, which requires a 1/4" drain line to tap into the drain. The recommended installation is to tap into the waste line above the p trap, but as pictured, there is very little room to do so. Additionally, the bracket included to attach the 1/4" drain line is for 1-1/2" PVC (versus the 2" that my contractor installed).

Would there be any issues if I cut the 2" drain line down by about 4", installed a new elbow and trap adapter and added a longer tail pipe to the garbage disposal waste line? This would give me the additional room above the p trap to tap into for the RO drainage.

20190923_132226.jpg 20190923_132152.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For starters your contractor left off the vent for the p-trap. For an Island like that you would have an AAV as the vent.
Yes you can cut the pipe shorter, add a santee with an AAV 4" above that.

index.php

The kitchen drain should also have a 2" cleanout.

skrid216

Reaction score
Thanks Terry! According to my contractor, he said the venting wasn't necessary as the waste line connected directly to the main 4" waste under the floor (<2' run), and the main drain line for the house was connected to a stack vent. Still a good idea to install the AAV anyway? I'll definitely include the cleanout...I see how that was missed as well.

Reach4

Reaction score
It is possible that unscrewing the AAV could serve as a cleanout.

That contractor is dodgy.

The RO unit should have an air gap, and a combo spigot with an air gap would be the easiest way to accomplish that. If you have not yet bought the RO unit, you want one with a permeate pump. That is non-electric, but increases the RO unit water efficiency.

skrid216

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4... I think I have room for both cleanout and AAV.

Not sure about the permeate pump... I have an Apec Water ROES-PH75 unit which has a pressurized water storage tank. I am not using the spigot that came with the RO system... My faucets had a matching spigot that just has one tube coming from it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4... I think I have room for both cleanout and AAV.

Not sure about the permeate pump... I have an Apec Water ROES-PH75 unit which has a pressurized water storage tank. I am not using the spigot that came with the RO system... My faucets had a matching spigot that just has one tube coming from it.
You should put in a separate air gap, through another hole in the sink. I know that you don't intend to do that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks