Looking for best practices on p-trap placement

Users who are viewing this thread

DYIDan

Reaction score
Remodeling kitchen sink area. My current stub out is about 20” from the vent stack, I’m installing a large single sink with the drain in the right back corner (Elkay ECTRU24169RTWC) with garbage disposal. Would it be better to have the p-trap closer to the disposal (about 33” from vent stack) or closer to stub out or with these measurements does it make any real differenc..
Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
The U-shaped part goes by the disposal, and is probably going to be fed with the 1-1/2 inch slip joint curved discharge tube.

I recommend a slip joint p-trap, rather than glued. At the wall will be a trap adapter at an appropriate height and location. One wrong location is right in line with the disposal.

The trap arm of the trap would go into the trap adapter. The trap arm is the horizontal part of the trap.

The trap adapter height should be low enough to let the trap arm be lower than the output from the disposal. The height should ideally be high enough to clear between the bottom of the U and the shelf, with enough clearance to allow assembly and disassembly.

Don't get the trap adapter too wide from the disposal either. There is a little over 2 inch swing in the trap. Also, the disposal can be rotated so that the curved discharge tube can be varied.

I would buy the plastic 1-1/2 inch slip joint trap early, and play with how that can be positioned. The trap arm and U are not usually in the same plane, but they could be.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont think a longer trap arm is any benefit and a shorter one a big disadvantage either from a few inches long to 3 ft anywhere inbetween is fine. give it fall and make sure it isnt too high

DYIDan

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I hate it when they glue threaded fitting. I was mainly looking for info on how far the trap could safely be from the vent stack.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks