Adapter for this shower arm to replace shower head... ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bevcrna

Reaction score
I've contacted Kohler and there is not an adapter sold separately. They sent me a link to purchase a new shower head with adapter and washer. But why would I bought what I already have?? I'm stuck. Now what? Hire a plumber to remove the Kohler shower arm and have a standard size shower arm installed?? I'm nervous about removing it myself in case I cause a leak OR what if the other end (in the wall) is also a non-standard size?
HELP please!
I just spoke with a Kohler representative and it is an oversized shower arm, as we all already know, and they do sell an adapter...but not a handheld shower sprayer that can be used without the adapter. It's so odd to me that not only would they make this non standard shower arm, but they don't even make a handheld sprayer that attaches to it without an adapter. So I have ordered the adapter $... 24. But it is on a 28-day backorder right now. If anyone is interested in the adapter so that they can attach either a shower head that works well, or a handheld sprayer, the part number is 125-0246.

k-1250246-cp.jpg

K-1250246-CP

Last edited by a moderator:

Bevcrna

Reaction score
What is your problem with the showerhead? Is it that it does not pass enough water?

If yes, I would test that plenty of water comes out when the showerhead is removed. Is there plenty of water then?​

If yes, I would look into disabling the restictor in the showerhead. That could be pulling something out. That could be drilling through something.

If no, the restriction may be built into the valve, and in that case, changing showerheads might not offer much improvement.​
Of course I did. Even if my boyfriend wasn't a plumber, I know how to check weather pressure coming out of a pipe is decent. First of all, the reason I wanted to replace the shower head was because I want a handheld sprayer. And the shower arm should be standard size to do that, but it's not. Second, the shower head from Kohler is horrible in terms of how it sprays out....cery fine streams of water that create ridiculously low pressure, regardless of what is coming out of the plumbing. Also, the pressure regulator in the head itself, is not removable. FYI, The people who discussin the issues they have with this shower head, actually HAVE the shower head. If you are not one of the people that has this shower head and shower arm system, you probably don't need to worry about commenting on this thread....unless you know some inside information about getting an adapter. This was completely a situation about needing an adapter to replace the shower head for multiple reasons. And none of them had to do with the plumbing system's water pressure.

Bevcrna

Reaction score
Kohler has an aversion of using standard parts. THey are, IMHO, infected with the NIH syndrome (not invented here). As a result, often, you have trouble replacing anything from them unless you source it from them. Should you decide to buy Kohler, make sure to keep the installation instructions which usually has the parts list on it so you can identify what needs to be replaced down the road. Their parts book is like a big old telephone book with lots of different stuff because they make lots of stuff custom where (IMHO), there's no good reason except for NIH. Quality-wise, in general, the stuff is good. Style is a personal thing. Functionality, can be an issue. My thoughts are that they are more interested in how it looks, not necessarily in how it works.

FWIW, a rain shower head is NOT designed to have much pressure. IT is purposely designed to have a wide, low-pressure outlet. Removing the restrictor may or may not change that much, but with the large number of relatively big openings, the pressure still won't improve all that much, if any...think of it like a hose without a spray nozzle on it. But, with the large number of openings, if you do remove the restrictor, you could easily run out of hot water fairly quickly as it would be like dumping it out the tub spout.
Agreed! This oversized shower arm has absolutely no rationale to it. When I was told that they don't even sell a handheld sprayer that attaches to it without an adapter, the lack of reasoning was confirmed. My boyfriend puts in a lot of high-end fixtures for new construction homes and he will be the first to tell you that he would not recommend Kohler unless you care more about aesthetics than function and ability to modify later. They definitely designed things so that you are restricted to buying their products.

Reach4

Reaction score
FYI, The people who discussin the issues they have with this shower head, actually HAVE the shower head. If you are not one of the people that has this shower head and shower arm system, you probably don't need to worry about commenting on this thread....unless you know some inside information about getting an adapter.
You knew there was an adapter, and it could be obtained without inside information? And you are just feeling pissy?

Bevcrna

Reaction score
You knew there was an adapter, and it could be obtained without inside information? And you are just feeling pissy?
I hate it when people jump on threads and don't read everything before they start replying. I didn't know there was a afapter until I called today. And after I called and found out, I shared that information with the other people who were trying to resolve their issues with this shower head. Get a life dude.

Reach4

Reaction score
Of course I did. Even if my boyfriend wasn't a plumber, I know how to check weather pressure coming out of a pipe is decent.
Note that my post #19 that you took umbrage with was for Turtle10.

I did misread your post #21 thinking you had said that you all knew there was an adapter. I the read through the earlier posts looking for one where somebody had said there was an available adapter. My post #22 was not taking your words out of context intentionally, but by mistake.

Last edited:

Turtle10

Reaction score
In that case, replacing the shower arm is absolutely within your grasp. In the world of plumbing, the threads in your wall are one of the sure standards that you can rely on. You can do it! Righty tightly lefty loosey - give it a good hard turn and it will come out. Be sure to use Teflon tape or pipe dope on the new one to prevent leaks.
Thanks for your reply! Oh, I can probably do it but should I........
Wondering if the Kohler shower arm is the non-standard size at the wall end as well. If so, wouldn't I need an adapter/reducer at the wall end to attach a standard size shower arm? what a pain in my butt

Turtle10

Reaction score
What is your problem with the showerhead? Is it that it does not pass enough water?

If yes, I would test that plenty of water comes out when the showerhead is removed. Is there plenty of water then?​

If yes, I would look into disabling the restictor in the showerhead. That could be pulling something out. That could be drilling through something.

If no, the restriction may be built into the valve, and in that case, changing showerheads might not offer much improvement.​
Hi, there is no problem with the shower head really. I always remove the shower head and replace it with a standard size handheld shower head. The problem is that I know see that Kohler uses a Non-Standard size shower arm. They tell me there is NO adapter so a standard size shower head can be attached. They tried to sell me the whole kit...shower head, washer, ring and adapter. Or they say, remove the Kohler shower arm.
I'm just looking for a solution to the adapter or reducer type part so I can install the handheld.

Turtle10

Reaction score
I just spoke with a Kohler representative and it is an oversized shower arm, as we all already know, and they do sell an adapter...but not a handheld shower sprayer that can be used without the adapter. It's so odd to me that not only would they make this non standard shower arm, but they don't even make a handheld sprayer that attaches to it without an adapter. So I have ordered the adapter $... 24. But it is on a 28-day backorder right now. If anyone is interested in the adapter so that they can attach either a shower head that works well, or a handheld sprayer, the part number is 125-0246.
Can you PLEASE send me a link to purchase the adapter?? I tried to search the part number you mentioned and can't find it. I too have a handheld standard size shower head that I need to attach. Thank you!!

Turtle10

Reaction score
I FOUND IT !! Anyone who is having the same issue as me with the non standard size Kohler shower arm......this is the adapter!
https://www.nyrpcorp.com/kohler-1250246-cp-showerarm-adapter-and-gasket-kit/

k-1250246-cp.jpg

K-1250246-CP

I just need to find it in Canada. WHY would Kohler tell me they don't sell the adapter separately and if they don't......why not??

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions : )

Last edited by a moderator:

GVnadad

Reaction score
I FOUND IT !! Anyone who is having the same issue as me with the non standard size Kohler shower arm......this is the adapter!
https://www.nyrpcorp.com/kohler-1250246-cp-showerarm-adapter-and-gasket-kit/

I just need to find it in Canada. WHY would Kohler tell me they don't sell the adapter separately and if they don't......why not??

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions : )

Thank you for this post! Took forever to find it, but happy I did. I was able to order the adapter. However, now I am unsure on how to take that white plastic piece out that the socket sat in before. I am afraid that it might break or damage something else? How did you get that plastic piece out? See image below. Thank you in advance for your help!

46441-f26fc1335026f5774e62850c207066c8.jpg

Danny JC

Reaction score
Thank you for this post! Took forever to find it, but happy I did. I was able to order the adapter. However, now I am unsure on how to take that white plastic piece out that the socket sat in before. I am afraid that it might break or damage something else? How did you get that plastic piece out? See image below. Thank you in advance for your help!

Hi there-

Did the Kohler 1250246-Cp work? Did you manage to remove the white screw adapter in your last post? Any info and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. So happy I found this thread for a solution.
Many thanks

mishaguy

Reaction score
Hi there-

Did the Kohler 1250246-Cp work? Did you manage to remove the white screw adapter in your last post? Any info and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. So happy I found this thread for a solution.
Many thanks
This forum was a lifesaver! The conversion kit worked for me! I needed a new showerhead anyway, so I didn't mind that the kit included one. The hardest part of the job was removing the white plastic bearing. It actually unscrews. The 1-1/4 Kohler shower arm is also female threaded on the inside and the white plastic piece is male threaded. Left-loosy with some pliers and I got it out, and the adapter kit then screwed on just fine to the male threads on the outside of the 1-1/4 arm that the nut used to screw to that held the old unit in.

I used this kit on amazon. I'm sure I could have gotten it cheaper, but it was same day delivery and it's done now! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L5GYXY2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

k-1153443-cp.jpg

mishaguy

Reaction score

it unscrews. I need pliers to get leverage (lefty-loosy) as it was in very tight and had some mineral deposits on threads. I have several of these same shower arms, one of which was partially unscrewed, which was my only hint.

Palaina

Reaction score
I'm attaching an image of the shower head diagram as well as what I did. The "Ball Socket" shown in the diagram is actually a 1/2 size, same as a standard shower head pipe. I got a 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch threaded Male to Male adopter (they only had 2inch long but a little shorter would be perfect) and put it in place of the "Ball Socket" (white plastic part). I was then able to connect my new shower head to the other end. I hope this helps any one in the future. :)

I found a link to the installation of this thick shower arm, it looks like you can just screw it off. Link:
https://secure.img1-ag.wfcdn.com/dm/document/1eba0537-52aa-4074-bdfc-bf6e8e0c06bf/installation & assembly

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
2a.jpg

Last edited:

MicheleGia

Reaction score
I'm attaching an image of the shower head diagram as well as what I did. The "Ball Socket" shown in the diagram is actually a 1/2 size, same as a standard shower head pipe. I got a 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch threaded Male to Male adopter (they only had 2inch long but a little shorter would be perfect) and put it in place of the "Ball Socket" (white plastic part). I was then able to connect my new shower head to the other end. I hope this helps any one in the future. :)

I found a link to the installation of this thick shower arm, it looks like you can just screw it off. Link:
https://secure.img1-ag.wfcdn.com/dm/document/1eba0537-52aa-4074-bdfc-bf6e8e0c06bf/installation & assembly

View attachment 78930 View attachment 78931 View attachment 78932
Hello Palaina...

I realize your post was from Nov 2021, but in the chance you see this, I had to send you a HUGE thank you. I am the person who started this thread many years ago, to no avail.

For some reason, I decided to come back onto this thread to see if anyone had discovered a way to change this showerhead without replacing the arm. Not only did your post help me do that - it helped me do that for $6!

I just took my first shower with the original (and much stronger) showerhead I had wanted to use back in 2018. This is such a quality-of-life game changer. The water in my neck of the woods is already not great, but couple that with a weak stream, and I honestly never felt like my hair was clean. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR POST! I am so grateful!

Attachments

• IMG_7204.jpg
    IMG_7204.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 26
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks