Adapter for this shower arm to replace shower head... ?

Users who are viewing this thread

MicheleGia

Reaction score
Hello... I just moved into a new apartment and wanted to replace the Kohler rain shower head as the pressure is very weak. When I removed it, I saw that there was a ball attached at the end of the shower head which is then attached to the arm by a thread.

I've researched adapters and feel there must be something out there that I could attach without having to remove the arm (I have tried to remove the arm. Several times. But it almost feels like it is cemented in and after reading about pipes breaking, I do not want to risk damaging anything since this is a new rental.)

From what I understand (and I am very new to plumbing terminology, so forgive me) the thread I would need is slightly larger than standard and it also has to be female to male in order for it to work with the standard shower head I'd like to replace it with?

I've attached photos. I'd really appreciate any help. Thank you.

IMG_7647.JPG

This is the shower head I'd like to remove...
IMG_7647.JPG

This is the thread used to hold it into the arm:

IMG_7648.JPG

This is the arm:

IMG_7623.JPG

This is the new shower head I'd like to put in:

IMG_7653.jpg

These are the pieces that I've researched but not sure they will work:

IMG_7651.jpg IMG_7650.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What you have in the wall is a standard 1/2" female iron pipe fitting. If you pick up a new shower arm, the new head will thread to that. Those come with 1/2" threads on both ends. When I thread in the new shower arm, I like to assemble the shower head first, and that gives me more leverage to spin the arm in. Or you can also use a screwdriver in the end of the arm for more leverage. That way you're not putting pliers on the arm and scratching it.

Last edited:

MicheleGia

Reaction score
What you have in the wall is a standard 1/2" female iron pipe fitting. If you pick up a new shower arm, the new head will thread to that. Those come with 1/2" threads on both ends. When I thread in the new shower arm, I like to assemble the shower head first, and that gives me more leverage to spin the arm in. You can also use a screwdriver in the end of the arm for more leverage. That way you're not putting pliers on the arm and scratching it.

Thanks, Terry. I've tried to remove the arm, many times, but I've been unable to make it budge... not even a little. I was trying to find a way to do this without removing the arm, if possible. But it seems there's no piece that would work that would make it so I don't need to replace the arm?

Cycloid

Reaction score
Sorry to revive this thread. I have the exact same situation and shower head as Michele. Similarly I'm not able to remove the shower arm, was just wondering if the adapters Michele was looking at ended up working out!

Richard Chen

Reaction score
I have the same issue. I checked talked with Kohler and they said it's 1 1/4" thread at the shower arm. That seems really big, but going to take the head into the Home Depot to verify. Has anyone found an adapter that fits? They can't sell the adapter separately.

Turtle10

Reaction score
I have the same issue. I checked talked with Kohler and they said it's 1 1/4" thread at the shower arm. That seems really big, but going to take the head into the Home Depot to verify. Has anyone found an adapter that fits? They can't sell the adapter separately.
Same issue here! Home Depot and my local Specialty Plumbing store say my shower arm is bigger than the standard and they have no idea what to suggest. I am NOT handy and am afraid to try and remove my shower arm. Anyone have a bigger shower arm and thread than standard ??

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a normal Kohler thing...they really like to do things their own way. Finding a compatible adapter is going to be really chancy operation.

Turtle10

Reaction score
Sounds to me like a normal Kohler thing...they really like to do things their own way. Finding a compatible adapter is going to be really chancy operation.
Ok, but Home Depot and the Specialty store had never heard of a shower arm larger than standard.....ever. So they had no solution and didn't know if an adapter exists. Does anyone know of an adapter to attach my larger shower arm to the standard/smaller shower head??
Thank you!!

Bevcrna

Reaction score
Hello... I just moved into a new apartment and wanted to replace the Kohler rain shower head as the pressure is very weak. When I removed it, I saw that there was a ball attached at the end of the shower head which is then attached to the arm by a thread.

I've researched adapters and feel there must be something out there that I could attach without having to remove the arm (I have tried to remove the arm. Several times. But it almost feels like it is cemented in and after reading about pipes breaking, I do not want to risk damaging anything since this is a new rental.)

From what I understand (and I am very new to plumbing terminology, so forgive me) the thread I would need is slightly larger than standard and it also has to be female to male in order for it to work with the standard shower head I'd like to replace it with?

View attachment 51055

View attachment 51057

This is the arm:

View attachment 51058

View attachment 51059

View attachment 51060 View attachment 51061
Omg, I have the same exact issue with the same exact Kohler shower head! I am in New York, renting an apt while I help with the Covid-19 outbreak. Despite the water pressure being fine, the pressure that comes out of that shower head is a joke. So I went and bought a handheld shower sprayer and was shocked that it did not fit. I thought all shower arms were standard size and have never had this problem in all the years that I put shower sprayers in my shower. I feel like there has got to be an adapter out there for changing the shower head without replacing a shower arm.

Turtle10

Reaction score
Omg, I have the same exact issue with the same exact Kohler shower head! I am in New York, renting an apt while I help with the Covid-19 outbreak. Despite the water pressure being fine, the pressure that comes out of that shower head is a joke. So I went and bought a handheld shower sprayer and was shocked that it did not fit. I thought all shower arms were standard size and have never had this problem in all the years that I put shower sprayers in my shower. I feel like there has got to be an adapter out there for changing the shower head without replacing a shower arm.

I've contacted Kohler and there is not an adapter sold separately. They sent me a link to purchase a new shower head with adapter and washer. But why would I bought what I already have?? I'm stuck. Now what? Hire a plumber to remove the Kohler shower arm and have a standard size shower arm installed?? I'm nervous about removing it myself in case I cause a leak OR what if the other end (in the wall) is also a non-standard size?
HELP please!

Turtle10

Reaction score

View attachment 51055

View attachment 51057

This is the arm:

View attachment 51058

View attachment 51059

Hi, where did you find that adapter in your last photo?
And did you try it and did it work?? I'm still without a shower! Arrrrrrgggggg

Turtle10

Reaction score

View attachment 51055

View attachment 51057

This is the arm:

View attachment 51058

View attachment 51059

Did you use that attachment in the last photo? Where can I find it please!!

JohnnyCom

Reaction score
In that case, replacing the shower arm is absolutely within your grasp. In the world of plumbing, the threads in your wall are one of the sure standards that you can rely on. You can do it! Righty tightly lefty loosey - give it a good hard turn and it will come out. Be sure to use Teflon tape or pipe dope on the new one to prevent leaks.

Reach4

Reaction score
There is no landlord. I am the owner and live here.
What is your problem with the showerhead? Is it that it does not pass enough water?

If yes, I would test that plenty of water comes out when the showerhead is removed. Is there plenty of water then?​

If yes, I would look into disabling the restictor in the showerhead. That could be pulling something out. That could be drilling through something.

If no, the restriction may be built into the valve, and in that case, changing showerheads might not offer much improvement.​

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Kohler has an aversion of using standard parts. THey are, IMHO, infected with the NIH syndrome (not invented here). As a result, often, you have trouble replacing anything from them unless you source it from them. Should you decide to buy Kohler, make sure to keep the installation instructions which usually has the parts list on it so you can identify what needs to be replaced down the road. Their parts book is like a big old telephone book with lots of different stuff because they make lots of stuff custom where (IMHO), there's no good reason except for NIH. Quality-wise, in general, the stuff is good. Style is a personal thing. Functionality, can be an issue. My thoughts are that they are more interested in how it looks, not necessarily in how it works.

FWIW, a rain shower head is NOT designed to have much pressure. IT is purposely designed to have a wide, low-pressure outlet. Removing the restrictor may or may not change that much, but with the large number of relatively big openings, the pressure still won't improve all that much, if any...think of it like a hose without a spray nozzle on it. But, with the large number of openings, if you do remove the restrictor, you could easily run out of hot water fairly quickly as it would be like dumping it out the tub spout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks