Users who are viewing this thread

saritansamay

Reaction score
Hello,

I know the reputation these valves have and they should be replaced. I wanted to know if they are closed can the pressure cause these to leak where you pull the valve? It is a very slow drip.

Here is a little back story.

Last week my bathroom developed a smell. The only way I can describe it, its like a fish/aquarium type smell. My condo was built in 2005. The bathroom is clean and there has been no issues except for a Sterling toilet that gets clogged often. I have never seen water leaks, overflows etc. I tried to identify the source of the problem and it smelled worse inside the cabinet. I could also smell something on the opposite wall where my couch is. After doing a lot of research. I took the p trap in the sink out and made sure there was no clogs. After cleaning out and hosing down one area did not tighten well, but eventually, it did. I had pulled out the valve to stop the water. Fast forward I found out that my neighbor whose garage is under mine had not put out her compost trash out for about 2.5 weeks. I found this out when I went to ask her if she had any leaks on her garage ceiling. Coincidentally, her garage smelled similar to how my bathroom was smelling. She put the trash bin out SAT and has kept it out. The bathroom has gotten better over time. Today my general contractor came and put a new toilet. Figured I would have a new one put in ((Kohler) since the other one would get clogged all the time. I asked him to check to make sure there was no leaks when I replaced the p trap. He showed me where there was a leak in the pull out valve on the hot side. Well, I have never had any leaks before. I just went and checked and noticed it was pulled out (closed) when it leaks. But it is fine when it is on. I called a plumber who will charge 175 next week to replace it. I already spent money for the toilet install. And I am a single mama not working. I am wondering if this could pressure to build up and leak. Secondly, I want to know how easy this is and if I could probably DIY.

Thanks!

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
You could likely do the swap out if you find some videos to instruct and have two twelve inch crescent wrenches and a working lever handle shut off valve on your own water main.
Put a bowl under the valve in question and keep checking it. It is probably fine left in the open position and pressure tends to be more or less static relative to pushing on whatever seals that valve has.

saritansamay

Reaction score
You could likely do the swap out if you find some videos to instruct and have two twelve inch crescent wrenches and a working lever handle shut off valve on your own water main.
Put a bowl under the valve in question and keep checking it. It is probably fine left in the open position and pressure tends to be more or less static relative to pushing on whatever seals that valve has.

Thank you breplum! I see that your in the SFBay area as well. I appreciate the reply. Should I twist that valve off or buy one of those irwin wire cutter things to cut it off. Do I need to sand the copper pipe down if it is rough. I certainly don't want to make the situation worse. I was looking into getting a 3/8 sharkbite I already have a stainless steel supply line but don't know if I need a new one. Besides two 12 inch wrenches any other tools? Thanks f for your help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks