ABS connect to PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
Hi All

Which glue is used to attach a PVC long 90 to a cut-off ABS pipe?

I would rather use a Fernco coupler but I have read where Fernco couplers cannot be used in a wall or above ground. Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Thank You
Jeff

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fernco is a brand . Fernco makes a coupling for this it has a full metal jacket around the outside (the type that's legal) or one that's just rubber with 2 hose clamps not legal in walls.
also make sure the size is correct and marked something like pl to pl
not ci to pl (castiron to plastic)

plumbquick-coupling-22.jpg

mission-cp200.jpg

Travis K

Reaction score
What about using both for good measures? Use that pvc to abs glue and use a hub to pipe rubber coupler on top? I think that the abs/pvc glue isnt approved but there is an interesting comparison online where a guy test all the glues and pipe combos and the abs/pvc joint with the appropriate glue is the strongest. Even stronger than pvc/pvc with primer and solvent.

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
What about using both for good measures? Use that pvc to abs glue and use a hub to pipe rubber coupler on top? I think that the abs/pvc glue isnt approved but there is an interesting comparison online where a guy test all the glues and pipe combos and the abs/pvc joint with the appropriate glue is the strongest. Even stronger than pvc/pvc with primer and solvent.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wasn't suggesting that if your reply was in regards to my post.
ok Travis yes I was referring to your post it was post number 4 perhaps mis understood " using both"
I'd probably use a mission cp 200 I never used transition glue except on gluing ABS onto a PVC sewer lateral