2 Line jet pump would not prime

Users who are viewing this thread

Kyler Howdyshell

Reaction score
Not a question but thought I'd add this as a thing to look at if anyone else has this problem. So I bought my house recently with a well not knowing anything about wells or the well that it had. It had a 2 line jet system. I had a problem with it losing prime and decided I was comfortable with pulling it and replacing the foot valve. The jet assembly looked aged so I figured I'd replace everything so I didnt have it in the back of my mind. I replaced the foot valve, jet assembly, piping, and pump. Raised the pump up higher than all the water lines and tried priming it, but it would not prime. It'd build up pressure but as soon as I opened the valve slightly to bleed air from the system it'd lose prime. I tried for hours over days to prime it. Pulled everything again, checked all my connections, and put everything back in. Finally defeated I called the well company out to replace everything with a new submersible so I wouldn't have to worry about water. They came out and pulled everything, looked over what they'd need, ran back to their business, got everything, came back out and lowered basically a rope with galvanized elbow tied to the end to figure out how deep to set the pump. When they did this it turned out I had 4 or so inches of water in the well. Essentially dry. They said the water table could just be low this time of year and it might bounce back in the spring, but I'd be better off having a new more reliable well drilled. I had to ask the guy a couple times for a guesstimate because he didn't want to throw out a wrong number. $10,000-$15,000 for new well, ouch. He said if I didn't plan on living at my house for a long time that using the cistern I had would be his option, but if I wanted a well drilled to give them a call. So lesson to learn from me, check the water level if you're having persistant problems with loss of prime or no water. Also trust the professionals, the ones I called were very nice and loved talking about their jobs, they hang submersible pumps in my area on schedule 120 PVC, fist time I've ever seen that. Also when buying a house if there's a newer cistern on the property there's more than likely problems with the well. Live and learn.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Tell us more about the well. How big diameter? How deep?

Kyler Howdyshell

Reaction score
It's a 6 inch casing about 60ft deep in the Shenandoah Valley region of Virginia. The house was built in 1966, so I can only assume the well is the same age. Lots of metal deposits, it was using a sediment filter every month. The filter was always heavy and had a rust color tint when I changed it.

Reach4

Reaction score
It is possible that you could remove sediment, and in effect, make the well deeper. Consider checking county records to see what they show the well depth as. It may not lead to anything, but it is possible. I am not a pro.

Since you have such a low static water level, an air lift pump would probably not work.

Kyler Howdyshell

Reaction score
I asked them about possibly drilling it deeper or to try fracking. They don't do fracking, and they said that they probably wouldn't drill deeper due to codes regarding well and distance to house and I'm pretry sure the well and septic tank is either not to current code or it just barely passes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks