1980s Shower Handle Escutcheon Plate Reinstall

Users who are viewing this thread

numbercrunch

Reaction score
I have a Delta two-handle shower/tub from the 1980s. The plumber removed the 3.25 inch x 3.25 inch square escutcheon plates (green arrow) to repair a leak and did a poor job replacing them. The hot-sided escutcheon plate isn't even flush against the tile (it was before). I want to remove the escutcheon plates, clean any buildup behind them, reinstall, reapply silicone caulk around the border.

1. I don't see any screws. How do I get the escutcheon plates to stick to the tile when I reinstall them?

2. How do I make sure water doesn't get into the wall where the middle hole in the escutcheon plate meets the trim sleeve? (red arrow) Do I need to apply plumber's putty?

Thanks for your help!

Shower-Handles.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks