1960s Ball Arm Shower head-with nothing to adapt to!!!! HELP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Miranda

Reaction score
So my grandma had our house built in 1961, and it has 2 bathrooms with these ball arm shower heads. I THOUGHT I had found the answer to replacing them when I saw a video about an adapter, but then I realized there’s nothing with threads to attach that adapter to like in the other videos, the shower head is all one piece.

Is there ANY way to screw the ball end off? It appears to have 2 threads sticking out, and I thought maybe I could find like a double-female adapter and then be able to attach a new head.

If there’s no way to do that, and I end up having to replace the entire shower arm from the wall, what are the chances that a pipe would break in the wall, or some other catastrophe? I really want to change them out but do not have the money to do a whole shower remodel if I mess something up. I know that’s eventually the best thing to do, but if it’s possible with some adapter configuration, please attempt to walk me through it!! (Edit: my dad does have some plumbing experience and has been able to do our sinks, so it won’t be just me blindly doing it-I just really want to avoid any problems if possible)

All help greatly appreciated!

DD5910D1-ECF7-4D25-BEAB-D0BB03BA7728.jpeg
E57B26B4-90E4-4D9A-9442-BBCFBB33DE08.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Looking at the pictures, you're best off installing a new shower arm. For the new arm, three wraps of tape and then thread it in. You can use a screwdriver inserted into the end of the arm for more leverage without scratching the arm.

shower-arm-terrylove-01.jpg

screwdriver-shower-arm-leverage.jpg

Miranda

Reaction score
Looking at the pictures, you're best off installing a new shower arm. For the new arm, three wraps of tape and then thread it in. You can use a screwdriver inserted into the end of the arm for more leverage without scratching the arm.

shower-arm-terrylove-01.jpg

screwdriver-shower-arm-leverage.jpg
How do I get the outer part off to get the screwdriver in there? Does the head itself disassemble if u unscrew the screw on the sprayer piece? Or can I unscrew the ball off some way?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since your replacing it use channel lock pliers or pipe wrench right over the pipe, when you purchase new shower head buy a head , arm and flange

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks