14" rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

davidq

Reaction score
A toilet location in our new house turns out to be a 14" rough-in -- in slab. Of course it happened in the tightest bathroom space, where we could even use a wall mount toilet to get the space I would like.

Is this fixable without moving the rough-in AND without compromising performance? If the rough-in must be moved, should we consider a wall mount, or is there some under 30" toilet-tank combo that still has an elongated bowl? Does Toto have a wall mount or really short wall-to-front length model?

Thank you.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Rough in is the distance from the face of the wall to the centerline of the drain. 14" is actually the largest "typical" rough in. Are you measuring from the wall to the face of the toilet?

davidq

Reaction score
This thread has answers

14" measure is from wall face to center of rough-in.

I found this August 2004 article from Terry, entitled:
14" rough-in for toilets. Which models take up the least amount of space?
https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29447

This seems to have all the answers for me. I wonder if there are any updates on models or other information?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I have a Vespin and a Carlyle...each has worked fine for years. Choose the style you prefer and your budget can stand. Any of these Totos will work. White is the least expensive, and a two-piece is less than a one-piece.

cst474_side.jpg

Toto Vespin II CST474CEFG with SS114 Softclose seat.
This bowl was installed on a 13-1/2" rough-in using the 14" Unifit adapter.
The water shutoff can be as close as 5-1/2" to the left of center, unless it's higher off the floor, and then it can be even closer to center.
This shutoff had been replaced with a new 1/4 turn valve with brass nipple through the wall.
Installation was by James Love of Love Plumbing & Remodel 206-949-5683
In some of the older Seattle homes, the old toilets had been wall mounted tank toilets.
Those typically are 14" rough-in and need a flange repair to use standard closet bolt connections at the flange.
Everything is on the truck for that.
The Vespin comes with a standard 12" adapter or you can order a 10" or 14" adapter depending on your rough-in distance.

Last edited by a moderator: