Search results

1. Paulcmaine

Crimping Pex onto Polybutylene Diverter Valve?

Oh thank you, good eye! I had thought that was a direct crimp fitting like some of the modern pex stuff, I didn't notice the sweat adapter. Will sweat it out and make a proper repair.
  2. Paulcmaine

Crimping Pex onto Polybutylene Diverter Valve?

I am repiping my house which is currently all PB. The bathtub diverter valve appears to be a direct crimp unit, unfortunately. I don't have time to replace it. Am I able to crimp pex directly onto the PB fitting? I could use either copper crimp rings or cinch clamps. I understand they are not...
  3. Paulcmaine

How bad is a choke point in tankless WH gas line?

Thanks Wayne, that makes sense and is what I was hoping. The layout is a 1" trunk line with an existing 1/2" reducing tee apprx 10' away from the WH that I'm trying to pipe in. I'll then come off of that tee with a 1/2 x 3/4 elbow to step it back up to 3/4" for the 10' run so it will only be the...
  4. Paulcmaine

How bad is a choke point in tankless WH gas line?

I am installing a 160,000BTU tankless unit in my home. My main gas line is 1" and the run to the water heater is about 10'. Unfortunately all the tee fittings on the trunk line are 1x1x1/2. There is a capped tee right by it and it would be very easy to tap in but replacing a tee is going to be...
  5. Paulcmaine

First Time Full Repipe, does this sound right?

Thanks John, appreciate you taking the time this is very helpful. I grew up in Maine so very familiar with freezing pipes! A true hard freeze is so rare here that the exposed piping isn't much of an issue but since most houses are post on pier with all the lines under the house so where people...
  6. Paulcmaine

Polybutylene diverter valve?

I am doing a repipe of my house which is all polybutyl. The diverter valves on the showers are threaded to a crimp fitting to the polybutyl, can I just cut the crimps and slide pex onto the fittings and recrimp or do I need to unthread and replace the whole fitting? Is there a way to tell...
  7. Paulcmaine

Actually I just looked again and I was mistaken that trunk line is 1" so I should be alright.
  8. Paulcmaine

My house is fully plumbed with bolybutyl, unfortunately. On the plus side it's post on pier so it's about as easy as it gets - I only need to cut out two small squares of drywall to repipe the entire house! I've done a lot of plumbing before but this will be the biggest job to date. This site...
  9. Paulcmaine

Burying Sch 40 PVC on rock?

Different situation actually. The concern is that the pipe will be laying directly on top of rock for about 4' (the run is more like 40') and I want a solution to protect the pipe from pressure damage against the rock. Typically we would bed it in sand or good compacted soil but that would...
  10. Paulcmaine

Burying Sch 40 PVC on rock?

Running a 4" waste line to the septic from the house. This is in Maine so we need as much depth as we can get for frost. We've hit one or two sections where a large flat piece of granite is in the way and extends laterally too far to just trench around it. It's only a few inches higher than our...
  11. Paulcmaine

Remote operated (reach rod) drain valve?

I'm helping a friend with a small house in an area that freezes and we're plumbing the supply side in such a way that the lines can be gravity-drained. There is a low point where the line from the well connects to the building supply which will need a drain. Plenty of ways to do it but I think...
  12. Paulcmaine

Advice on venting

Thank you. I was planning on calling code enforcement to confirm AAV's. Wasn't aware some of Maine is IPC, good to know. Being an island it is a fair bit warmer than the mainland but I was definitely planning on adding a bell just before the roof penetration and going up in size.
  13. Paulcmaine

Advice on venting

I'm helping a friend build a small house on an island in Maine, it's impossible to get a plumber out here at the moment so we're tackling it ourselves. I have a couple questions, hoping for some advice. Here is the basic layout: I know there's a bunch of issues with this as-drawn in terms of...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks