Advice on venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Paulcmaine

Reaction score
I'm helping a friend build a small house on an island in Maine, it's impossible to get a plumber out here at the moment so we're tackling it ourselves. I have a couple questions, hoping for some advice. Here is the basic layout:

yzNwFQFn6r9usF0pLzjTr8CzQaUuwRdLGlQcciK8UugtqAHfIAqwtG365dXO0gWhL2dbjjEdjHupfTkhD0XFg-rKbjoQeNLZZp28uIQs8zVJgoueWHurcLdTiVzgmNqojvairkr8GA=w600-h315-p-k

I know there's a bunch of issues with this as-drawn in terms of 90's in piping and that sort of thing but I think I have that all under control, this is just a layout plan.

My main question is about venting. He wants the vent to exit the roofline roughly where it's located in the drawing but it seems like good practice to eliminate the AAV over by sink/shower since this is new construction anyway. I wanted to do a wet vent for the bathroom but of course that would mean moving the vent pipe over to make the toilet the last point in the line. Does it work if I move the vent over one wall stud so it's between the toilet and the sink or does that violate some wet venting rules? All the diagrams I've seen have been more or less based off a single waste line with the wet vent starting at the sink. Other suggestions? It seems like there ought to be a way to get the vent stack where he wants it without having to bang a 1-1/2" vent line through 6 rafters or load-bearing studs in a row. There is no attic space to work with unfortunately, all connections need to be within walls or floor.

What about just venting the toilet more-or-less as drawn and then using AAV's on both the kitchen sink (far right) and the shower/lav sink combo? I get the impression they are frowned upon in new construction but are they legal like that? Is there a good reason not to do it?

Also given that we're only looking at 8 DFU's am I correct in thinking under UPC a 1-1/2" vent stack is legal?

One more question: if we use an AAV for the kitchen sink that does need to be either under the sink for access or if placed in the wall it needs an access / airflow plate, correct?

Thanks in advance. Done plenty of plumbing before for various projects but home plumbing up to code is new to me so I'm learning as we go.

Reach4

Reaction score
Confirm that you are sure that UPC applies. To use AAVs under UPC may require local permission.

My main question is about venting. He wants the vent to exit the roofline roughly where it's located in the drawing but it seems like good practice to eliminate the AAV over by sink/shower since this is new construction anyway. I wanted to do a wet vent for the bathroom but of course that would mean moving the vent pipe over to make the toilet the last point in the line. Does it work if I move the vent over one wall stud so it's between the toilet and the sink or does that violate some wet venting rules? All the diagrams I've seen have been more or less based off a single waste line with the wet vent starting at the sink. Other suggestions?
Are you covered by UPC? I know some Maine uses IPC. This IPC document could be useful if using IPC. https://wabo.memberclicks.net/assets/pdfs/Plumbing_Venting_Brochure_2018.pdf including the diagram on page 2. Note that everything involved in the wet venting on that diagram is bathroom stuff.

Some parts of Main can get very cold. That means that the vent through the roof needs to be bigger to avoid freezing shut. Add that to your stuff to research.

Paulcmaine

Reaction score
Confirm that you are sure that UPC applies. To use AAVs under UPC may require local permission.

Are you covered by UPC? I know some Maine uses IPC. This IPC document could be useful if using IPC. https://wabo.memberclicks.net/assets/pdfs/Plumbing_Venting_Brochure_2018.pdf including the diagram on page 2. Note that everything involved in the wet venting on that diagram is bathroom stuff.

Some parts of Main can get very cold. That means that the vent through the roof needs to be bigger to avoid freezing shut. Add that to your stuff to research.

Thank you. I was planning on calling code enforcement to confirm AAV's. Wasn't aware some of Maine is IPC, good to know. Being an island it is a fair bit warmer than the mainland but I was definitely planning on adding a bell just before the roof penetration and going up in size.