Search results

1. thunderhead

Wall hydrant vs hose bibb

I will be adding a outside hose to water the lawn, wash the car etc. I bought a hose bibb and noticed it only has about a 3/16 hole in it, looks very restrictive. I have not looked at a wall hydrant in person but am thinking since they say they are for irrigation they would have more flow. Here...
  2. thunderhead

Santee on its back? Not for a drain.

Can I use a santee on its back for a bathroom sink drain? It would be hooking into the toilet drain. If not, what would I use? Thanks
  3. thunderhead

Draining water heater

Can I flush my water heater with the water supply still on? The reason I ask is because my water is so full of crap that every time I shut the supply off it clogs my toilet inlets. Also, the water heater is not turned on (don't live in the house, rehabbing it) so will sediment still form?
  4. thunderhead

P trap vs S trap

I have been reading on the internet and now I am more confused than ever. Can someone explain in layman's terms what makes it one or the other? Is this picture a P or an S trap? Also, in this video I think the guy is getting confused but I think he was going from an S to a P. I just don't...
  5. thunderhead

AAV layout for washer?

Will this set up work? The only pics I have seen have the aav coming off the main line and the drain in from the side? This is for a washing machine. Nothing glued in yet. The red mark is where the AAV will end up. Thanks
  6. thunderhead

AAV magic vent

Are they any good? Will one work for a toilet, sink and shower? Or just another gimmick? Thanks
  7. thunderhead

Submersible pump fell in well

My submersible pump fittings rusted and fell into the well. It had galvanized pipe and I replaced it with poly tubing. I also installed a new pump. I tied a nylon rope onto the pump so if this was to ever happen again I could hoist it up and not get dinged to have a well company to retrieve it...
  8. thunderhead

Bathroom sink drain runs uphill

I am reworking some drain lines in an old house. The bathroom sink drain was running up hill. I was able to move some things around and get the pipe running down hill but am having trouble hooking it back up. It does not come out to a 90 degree angle. Is there any kind of flex that is suitable...
  9. thunderhead

Sweating copper

I was sweating some new water lines in and ended up with a couple leakers. I did about 50 joints and they all held but these two. I have drained the water, cleaned and fluxed but I can see the solder is not "sucking into" the joint. I think I have all the water out as I don't have any...
  10. thunderhead

condensate pump

My basement has a drain that runs into a field tile. We have had so much rain lately that the drain is backing up. I was thinking of putting in a stand pipe. I think the only thing the drain is doing now is for the furnace. Can I use a stand pipe and run a condensate pump from my furnace into...
  11. thunderhead

Underlayment nail length?

I am putting down some 1/4" underlayment. The directions for it say not to use nails that will go all the way through the flooring. My floor is 3/4" plus 1/4" underlayment. The shortest nails I can find are 1 1/4". Is there a problem with the nails being too long? Thanks
  12. thunderhead

Washing machine stinks.

Sorry if this is in wrong place, I really didn't see a category it fit into. When i use my washing machine it smells like rotten eggs. This is when I am filling the washer, not draining. The water at the faucets, tub etc does not smell. I have dumped water in the stand pipe before I start but...
  13. thunderhead

Another leveling the tub thread.

I have read several of the threads on leveling a tub. I have a steel tub that the finish is worn and rusty. I was going to use the Rustoleum kit to paint it but am thinking I may now go with a fiberglass tub. I may still use the steel if I can get positive feedback on the Rustoleum. It would be...
  14. thunderhead

Changing oil furnace to 2 line

I have a Beckett AFII oil burner. The tank is lower than the pump and I can only run a couple minutes before it gets air in the pump and have to bleed it out again. Manual says to use two pipe system if tank is lower. It also says to insert a plug in the pump. Where does this plug go? I am...
  15. thunderhead

Ducting question?

I recently installed an oil furnace in my garage and am now putting the plenum on. It is a top flow furnace and i am wondering if it is worth the effort to run a duct from the plenum down to the floor. Will I get that much more heat to the floor area before it rises? I know it takes a long time...
  16. thunderhead

Lennox 023 oil furnace install questions?

I just picked up a Lennox 023 oil furnace for my garage. It has a Beckett AFII85 oil burner. Does this unit have an internal stack control/cad cell in it? The guy I got it from says all he unhooked was the chimney, thermostat and oil line. I thought all oil furnaces had to have one in the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks