P trap vs S trap

Users who are viewing this thread

thunderhead

Reaction score
I have been reading on the internet and now I am more confused than ever. Can someone explain in layman's terms what makes it one or the other? Is this picture a P or an S trap? Also, in this video I think the guy is getting confused but I think he was going from an S to a P. I just don't understand the difference. Thanks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9NBdZcH3nEIMG_20200507_143746.jpg

thunderhead

Reaction score
The drain goes into the basement, runs about 2' and then a vent going through the roof. Is that not venting properly?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Not even close to being right.

What we normally do.

sink_dw.jpg

dwv_b2.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For a vent to work, it MUST exist BEFORE the outlet from the trap turns downwards, and it must be within a specified distance from the trap. The drain lines should slope a minimum of 1/4" per foot, so say it was a 2" pipe, at 1/4" per foot, there would potentially not be an air path if the distance to the vent was more than 8' and the pipe got full, but to account for other variations, at least in one code version, on a 2" pipe, that vent must occur within 5'. If you can look at the stuff from the side, and trace an S-shaped one prior to it being vented, you have an S-trap.

In your picture, IF they're allowed, the easiest way to vent it would be to add an air admittance valve (AAV).

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Rule of thumb

A fixture should be within 2 feet of a trap and a trap should be no more the 2 feet from a vent

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks