Water seeping into basement tench

Users who are viewing this thread

mdmacleod

Reaction score
I have a duplex down condo (1st floor and basement) in Chicago and have just finished digging the trench for a basement bathroom where the sewer line run 6 feet above the floor. The trench was dry at first, but now water has begun to seep into the trench from the underside. I have drained out the water from the deeper pit (22" ejector pump pit) a few times, but it keeps coming back. Now, a few days later, there are puddles in various spots where it is 1 foot deep as well. The puddles seem to be getting worse. My neighbor has a basement bathroom in her unit, so I assume I haven't done anything that shouldn't be done. Where is the water coming from and should this be a major concern?

I already have a sump pump in that general location, but the water doesn't seem to drain to it. I thought maybe the underground pressure has been released by taking out the concrete, and therefore the water is now moving upward instead of sideways toward the sump drains under the slab, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
It's probably just ground water. Your sump pump would normally take care of this, but the water is just taking the path of least resistance. Does your sump ever come on? Drain tiles/gravel might be clogged with silt if its not.

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks