Galvanized Compression Coupler?

Users who are viewing this thread

gatorgringo

Reaction score
I had a problem in my back yard where a fence guy bumped an old hose pipe that was connected directly to my main water supply from the city. This pipe comes vertical from the main water line about 2 feet from the water meter/shut off valve. Since it broke off, there are no threads. I have also tried to no avail in getting this piece loose from the fitting on the main water line. I am also a bit scared to apply more pressure because I really don't want to bust the main waterline. So I cut the vertical pipe and bought a 3/4" galvanized compression coupler. I bought a small piece of threaded pipe so that I can cap the other end. I placed the bottom part of the coupler on the existing cut pipe and put the capped pipe on the other end. I tightened it down and there are no leaks. My question is, how reliable and durable are these couplers? Is this something that I am going to have to revisit yearly? Anyone work with these? Thanks in advance for the replies!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have no experience with this type of coupler, but since it is a done deal now, go with it but keep any eye one it. At the first sign of failure, go rent a pipe threader and simple cut new theads on the pipe. Then a regular coupler and length of pipe will for sure fix it. I wouldn't undo what you have done unless/until there is a problem. I hate galvanized pipe, but for an outside faucet, I'd leave well enough alone.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They are called Dayton Couplings, at least that is what I have always known them as. They are what you use for Gal. pipe. Were yours hot dipped or electro galvanized? If your going to bury it I would try and use hot dipped next time. It (electro galv.) should last a few years.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
dresser

Dresser couplings come in various lengths.

I would not object to their use in your situation but if you have a lot of water pressure, I would come up with a way to anchor the nipple and cap for a more perminate fix. You could put back that lawn faucet too.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

A plumber should be able to "peel" that thread out of the fitting, but I don't know if you could without damaging the thread and making it useless.

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
Dresser coupling is a brand name like Kleenex.

You could wrap it with tape or plastic to protect from the earth if you have corrosive earth.

You could put some heat on the female fitting; it might loosen things up for you.

You could use a cast coupling, it would last longer.

I sure wouldn’t want any galvanized underground in my yard.

gatorgringo

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks guys. I think I am going to leave it and keep an eye on it. I had to get it done quickly so I went with this solution. Once this fails, I am going to replace the whole line to the house. I am just trying to avoid this because I have to pull up some concrete slab to get there.

Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks