Leaky Mansfield Anti-Syphon Wall Hydrant

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiko

Reaction score
I'm not sure what series this is, but water leaks from the handle when the spigot is turned on. I took off the handle and removed a left-threaded plastic nut, but after replacing this nut and tightening it down, water still leaked from the handle. Is there a universal repair kit for this? I think I just need to replace some missing packing material.

NPMSTR

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.prier.com
Unscrew the handle from the stem and then use the handle to turn the valve "ON". Check to see if the leak is through the packing or out of the small hole in the stem. If it is leaking from the stem, then the stem seat needs to be rebuilt with the parts from the 630-7755 kit. If it is leaking from the packing nut, it either needs to be tightened or replace the packing. With what you have told us, my guess is it is leaking from the hole in the stem.

Good luck

Kiko

Reaction score
I brought the old stem with me to the plumbing supply house, and they gave me the option of getting a new stem with all new seals or the repair kit. I took the stem, so I wouldn't have to rebuild the old one.

In the store, I noticed that the new stem looked exactly like the old one, except that it was about 1/4" shorter. The guy said that slight difference in length wouldn't matter because there is a spring at the end, which would make up for it. Well, it DID matter. The spigot would not shut off completely with that new stem. I ended up just rebuilding the old stem from the new one, and now there are no leaks.

So much for OEM parts matching up. :(

jgoleston

Reaction score
I have bought the rebuild kit,and I can't find where the small o ring goes on the stem. I have installed the new flat seal from the kit but the leak hasn't stopped coming out of the small hole in the stem.

Kiko

Reaction score
This photo will show you where the rebuild seals go on the 500 series stem: Note: you will have to remove the small screw at the bottom to replace the bibb washer, the little o-ring, and the larger flat seal. The new packing material goes on the other end of the stem.

P2-21-199a.JPG

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks