Moen 1255 issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Rich689

Reaction score
I have a Moen kitchen “gooseneck” faucet with pullout hose that was installed in July 2020. I had to replace the 1255 cartridge in 2022 as hard water took its toll on it. No issues until the past few weeks when I have noticed something feeling loose when operating the handle. Tried taking the handle off and retightening several times, wasn’t the issue. Tried 2 new cartridges, still didn’t fix the problem. I did notice the set screws that came with the cartridges are now plastic instead of metal, but I don’t know if that makes a difference. The old metal set screws don’t work with the new cartridges.

The faucet doesn’t leak but the operation is no longer smooth, a drastic change. I thought maybe there is air coming in the line from somewhere but I cannot find anything else that is loose.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could be the faucet body is ruined or you have the wrong cartridge or the cartridge isn't fully seated. Very hard to say.

Rich689

Reaction score
In case it helps anyone else, there is a somewhat concealed brass nut that surrounds the brass body that holds the cartridge. There is probably a specialized spanner wrench that Moen uses to build this at their factory, but a small flathead screwdriver is enough to tighten the nut sufficiently for the faucet assembly to not feel loose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks