Replacing very old tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

Loch

Reaction score
Hello there,

I am trying to replace a very old tub spout. It is old and different from those I have seen so far.

Please see the attached pictures. As you can see there are two parts. I was able to remove the spout but now I have a second part still attacked to the wall. What shall I do?

loch-01.jpg

loch-02.jpg

loch-03.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The brass part with the two ears is threaded onto a 1/2" galvanized pipe nipple.
If you can find a way to unthread the eared brass piece, you should be fine, even an easyout would do it.

Loch

Reaction score
Thanks Terry for your fast reply. The galvanized pipe looks thin and corroded. Do you have a guess on what's my chance of breaking the galvanized pipe while trying to unscrew the brass part?

I am replacing the spout because it leaks 1 gallon per minute of water when I take a shower. I would like to solve the problem but at the same time I do not want to create a bigger problem.

What would you suggest? Give it a try or keep it as it is?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Throw some heat on the brass part to expand it and unthread it.
Though really, we remove them all the time. It should be okay.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
With that spout, it is more likely a 3/4" pipe and it would have to be in very poor condition to break off. But if it did, then it was probably already close to failing even if you did nothing to it.

Loch

Reaction score
I tried to loosen the part but it is extremely hard. I was thinking to loosen the brass part with fire and keep cold water running on the pipe so that that part remains cold. I am only afraid to crack the tiles, though. Any suggestion.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's possible that when they installed that, they put some caulk behind it, then screwed it in. Now, it's been there a long time, so probably not - modern caulks weren't around way back when. If it is plumb, as you unscrew, it should only come out away from the tile. Now, if the bond to the nipple is great, you might unscrew it from the end inside, but that is not catastrophic. If that happens, you might want to replace that nipple with a brass one...then, it won't rust. The hardest part would probably be getting a big enough wrench on it to get the leverage you need to break it free. Once you start it free, it should come right off.

Loch

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. What I meant about the tile cracking was referred to the propane torch and the heat to the brass plate transfered to the tile. Hopefully that won't happen. I will place my other hand on the tile to check the heat.

Loch

Reaction score
I have been heating the brass part with a propane torch (1 to 2 minutes) and simultaneously run cold water on the galvanized pipe. I have been able to move the brass part 1/2 inch on the left but it is still extremely hard. I am going to take a break for a while. Any tip at this point?

The heat+water solution has given the best results so far. With only heat without water this thing doesn't move a bit. But still I can't believe it is so hard after being able to unscrew it by 1/2 inch.

Loch

Reaction score
Hi,
After some hard work, I have been able to remove the brass part.
Now, it looks like I have 1/2" galvanized pipe nipple screwed into a 3/4" galvanized pipe nipple. The 3/4" nipple is 1/2" long and the 1/2" nipple is 3/4" long for a total length of 1 inch 1/4 (sticking out of the wall).
What's my next step? Do they sell spouts that fit 1 inch and 1/4 long nipples or shall I try to unscrew the 1/2" nipple from the 3/4" nipple?
Thanks again for all of your help!!

loch-04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They do not, and have never, make a 3/4" nipple with a 1/2" thread into it so if that is really what you have, someone cobbled it together and we cannot tell you what is the best way to go from here.

Loch

Reaction score
I ended up buying an 1/2" coupler which I screwed to the 1/2" nipple. Then I extended the pipe with another 2 and 1/2 nipple. I bought all brass parts. Finally, I screwed in the spout directly to my extension. It worked but it was pretty tough. I also bought a new water saving showerhear, 1.75 gpm at Lowe's. Thanks guys for all of your help and particularly thanks to Terry for the tip on using the propane torch. Without it, I would have never been able to loosen the brass part.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks