Help please = Shower makes toilet overflow

Users who are viewing this thread

bighunk

Reaction score

Hello everyone = I have a ranch type, one story house on a slab. No one has lived in this house for about six months till someone moved in about ten days ago. The bath that I have problems with has a toilet, a tub-shower, and a lavatory in it.

There is a 4' teracotta main line running 3' along side (outside), the house. This line was broken and was repaired. Afterwards the toilet was flushed at least 10 times and was flowing well, and in good working order. The job was finished at about 11am that day.

Later that night a family member attempted to take a shower. Soon afterwards the toilet started overflowing, and the lavatory started gurgleing.

Can you please suggest what is wrong and needs repairing.

Thank You For Your Help

Cajun in New Orleans

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sounds like a main line plug if using the shower overflows the toilet.

My son-in-law did this very thing.
He called up and said,

"When I got out of the shower, the downstairs toilet was overflowing."

I told him to quit using water and get the main line snaked, giving him a phone number of a local guy in Seattle that I've used that does main lines.
The next phone call was,

"I went and finished my shower, and now the water is all over the downstairs carpets. Yuck! and it is like sewage."

Needless to say, now my daughter has new carpets downstairs.

Last edited:

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
Others with more expertise will weigh in I'm sure, but here's my 2 cents worth. It sounds like a clog is way downstream of all three fixtures. Perhaps those "at least 10 flushes" weren't quite enough to fill the entire wasteline. If that tile pipe is the drain, and was broken for months, you may be drowning a possum or raccoon as we speak. You may need to pull the toilet and have a drain pro like SewerRat run a big snake down it. That's not a DIY job-people have been permanently maimed by them.Another possibility is the venting for that bathroom may be obstructed. Good luck!

Last edited:

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
10 Flushes ~ 16 gals. A 4" ID drain line takes 6 gals for each 10'. How long is your drain line?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like you might want the company that repaired the line to come back and finish their job!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks