Dishwasher lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew21

Reaction score
Hi All,

In planning for my new kitchen, my friend who is an architect informed me that he cannot put a dishwasher near the sink because of the range. The kitchen is 'L' shaped and on the other side he said he can put one there. Scratching my head, where he wants to put the dishwasher, how will the water/waste lines be routed through 2-3 cabinets to the waste lines? I know you guys are pros and seen it all but if there are pics I would appreciate to see how this is done. I can also post up a pic of the kitchen for a better idea. Thanks!

Andrew

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have access from below, it's no big deal to reroute the lines to where you need them. My kitchen is U-shaped, and the sink is in one corner, while the DW is on the opposite arm. If you are getting new cabinets, you can route it under them, not through them.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I never understood why someone would not want the dishwasher next to the sink. Have you had any regrets Jim?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
None at all. When the door is open and the tray pulled out, it's essentially next to the sink - you can reach either. I wanted storage next to the stove, and there wasn't room for both that and the DW there. It's not a very big kitchen!

Andrew21

Reaction score
Sorry for the late response.

Ok here's the kitchen. My friend who is an architect will be designing the kitchen. I trust him and all but I have my doubts. :) There will be a range to the left of the sink instead of cooktop. He wants to put in a dishwasher to the right of the sink. Can we run supply and waste lines from there? Would that be too far? Thanks!

IMG_3466.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I would put the DW immediately on the right of the sink. Corners are tough. That one will be almost totally unusable in any case, because there is no place for a lazy susan cabinet. It would not be hard to run the drain and water from the sink area to that area.

Bpetey

Reaction score
I have to dissagree with Jimbo. You don't want the DW to bolock access to your sink when the door is open. Maybe over a little more under the old oven, Assuming you are taking it out.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have to dissagree with Jimbo. You don't want the DW to bolock access to your sink when the door is open. Maybe over a little more under the old oven, Assuming you are taking it out.

That is a very good point. This is a difficult kitchen layout, and if that wall oven is coming out, it would make sense to go over there.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
My kitchen is layed out very similarly to yours. We put the dishwasher to the left of the sink and the range to the right of where your wall oven is. (We have another base cabinet w/countertop where your wall oven is)

I wouldn't want it any other way.

Andrew21

Reaction score
Cacher, can you post a pic of your kitchen please?

Thank you all. I will be demo'ing this entire kitchen. So everything is game. argghhh this will be a hard decision.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The sink cabinet will have a "cubby hole" in the corner, but the dishwasher will not create a major obstruction, assuming you install a double sink to provide for prerinsing in the left hand basin. At that point, the installation is not much different than if it were directly next to the sink.

mazzonetv

Reaction score
not to but in on the pros - but what about putting the dishwasher to the left of the sink and the new range where the wall oven is. Seems to me that since you have a wall oven there already you have the gas connection there, and to the left of the sink would solve your problem of running supply lines.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks