Mix and Match PEX connectors

Users who are viewing this thread

vernonator

Reaction score
I have a new home that has PEX plumbing, from the looks it is Wispro and uses the expanding rings to make the joints. I want to add some spigots and do not want to have to buy an expander tool. Can I use crimp connectors on Wispro tubing?

Thanks for the help!!!!

TheZster

Reaction score
Nope.... won't work properly - no matter how hard you try.... heating the tubing won't help - and forcing it on a fitting is difficult to impossible...

Do what I did.... for my bathroom addition - I had to run 6 lines for sink/tub/wet bar -- so - I bought the tubing and the tool ($169.00) for my project.... (couldn't rent one anywhere) -- now that I'm done, I'm putting it on E-Bay - where they are bringing almost full retail... I figure it will end up costing me $20 - $40 bucks in the long run.... Can't remember the web site I found all the stuff on - but just did a search for Wisbro - and a couple of good sites came up.... In fact, I couldn't find Pex locally at any retail plumbing outlets so had to use the web.

Then again - since I've fallen in love with Pex - and do frequent remodel projects, I might just keep it....

I'm not a pro - just making do and improvising....

Last edited:

vernonator

Reaction score
thezster said:
Nope.... won't work properly - no matter how hard you try.... heating the tubing won't help - and forcing it on a fitting is difficult to impossible...

Do what I did.... for my bathroom addition - I had to run 6 lines for sink/tub/wet bar -- so - I bought the tubing and the tool ($169.00) for my project.... (couldn't rent one anywhere) -- now that I'm done, I'm putting it on E-Bay - where they are bringing almost full retail... I figure it will end up costing me $20 - $40 bucks in the long run.... Can't remember the web site I found all the stuff on - but just did a search for Wisbro - and a couple of good sites came up.... In fact, I couldn't find Pex locally at any retail plumbing outlets so had to use the web.

Then again - since I've fallen in love with Pex - and do frequent remodel projects, I might just keep it....

I'm not a pro - just making do and improvising....

Could do that...if I could find an expander tool for $169 I would probably just keep it. The only ones I can find are around $300... and right now all I am doing is adding a utility sink in the basement....I may just call my builder and see if he knows someone to moonlight just dropping a line that ends in copper for me...

Thanks

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
I've discussed this extensively with Wirsbo, plumbing inspectors and my wholesaler (all in Vancouver, BC) and here's what I've discovered:

Wirsbo says do not crimp onto their product, it will void it's warranty
Wholesaler says follow manufacturers directions
Plumbing Inspector says that's all crap, you go ahead and crimp on Wirsbo pipe, they are just trying to force us into buying their costly expansion tool and fittings unnecessarily.

I agree with the Inspector, Wirsbo caused me several sleepness nights worrying about an emergency repair that I needed to perform on their system and I had no choice but to crimp onto it. 6 months later and the repair is absolutely fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks