squeaky outside faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Anon125

Reaction score
Our outside taps are cold resistant. that is the washer part is about 10 inches inside the house.
they squeak when you turn them.
what do we oil them with - without damaging the washers?
thanks

Attachments

• tap.jpg
    tap.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 881
Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
While I am not 100% sure my guess is the noise is coming from the packing nut area right behind the handel...you could try turning it left 1/2 a turn then tightening it back 3/4 of a turn and see if this makes a difference..

Anon125

Reaction score
While I am not 100% sure my guess is the noise is coming from the packing nut area right behind the handel...you could try turning it left 1/2 a turn then tightening it back 3/4 of a turn and see if this makes a difference..

thanks we will try that

Anon125

Reaction score
Some freeze proof hose bibbs have a "loose fitting" spacer piece inside the tube, in order to keep the sealing washer centered on the seat when it closes.

PK80xx_4.jpg

You can see on this arrowhead replacement stem, it's a square shaped metal piece right next to the washer (on the right side of the picture.) In my experience, this metal spacer "squeaks" when turning on and off the hose bibb, and make some odd "fluttering" noises when water is flowing, from the metal spacer inside scraping & vibrating inside the metal tube.

-----------------

I don't know if your hose bibb has a loose fitting metal spacer inside it as well, but if so that might be the source of the squeaks.

PK20xx_4.jpg

I happened across this picture, which looks like it's got a rubber spacer (maybe also a backflow preventer...) which would surely be more quiet than the metal spacer.

PS - I have the arrowhead hose bibb with the square shaped metal spacer and although a bit noisy, it does work very well. (It has a really strong water flow.) Hope this info helps.

thanks
it only squeaks when we turn the handle...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks