Cleanout help

Users who are viewing this thread

NewTrinidad

Reaction score
I "installed" RootX today in a home I have lived in for a short time. I applied pipe dope on the cleanout but had a hardtime tightening it down because it had too much crud on it. It appears it has been frequently removed, probably due to the roots. I am not sure if the compound was not applied thoroughly, or I damaged the thread but a little water dripped out when I flushed the RootX with water from an upstairs bathtub. The pipe is 4".

I plan to first clean off the tons of old pipe joint compound (wire brush?). My question is:

Should I use a new standard plug?

or

Should I switch to a wingnut plug? (Is that permitted for my vertical cleanout?)

I plan on applying the RootX once a year so easy access is worth the money IMO.

Thanks!

3468477390_ff0cdb1e7d.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I would get a new plug, clean the threads on the fitting, and use teflon tape rather than pipe dope.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
A wingnut plug (we call them dollar plugs) will surely leak as the rubber that gets expanded would have to fill the threads as it was tightened down. A wire brush with the handle removed fitted in a drill will give you better results than just hand brushing. Can teflon tape and then pipe dope the cleanout plug before reinstalling, too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks