PVC Tubing

Users who are viewing this thread

DesireeAF

Reaction score
Sorry I did not know how to post a new thread so i am asking here.I changed my galvanized pipes to PVC tuning. I started out with 3/4" and then switched over to 1/2" b/c the guy at lowes told me the wrong size. My pipes are bursting at the elbow joints. First it worked fined then bursted when i used my hot water for the tub...i fixed it then it burst at the connection for my kitchen sin..the joint....is it because the different size pvc tubing that i am using that is making it do this...maybe too much pressure..i used the primer and cement glue etc at the joints?Please help

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
At the top folder (not within a subfolder), there's a button on the left to start a new thread.

PVC is not for potable water, well at least on the hot side. CPVC is allowed for potable water, both hot and cold.

Are the joints that are failing threaded or glued? If threaded and you tighten them too much, the stress can cause them to split eventually. Pipe threads are tapered, and the tighter you make them, it acts like a wedge that could split just like when you split a log.

Post a picture if you can (scroll down when posting to 'manage attachments for the specs on the sizes and file types available - you'll probably have to reduce the resolution of the file to upload it).

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
PVC and CPVC are two totally different products. PVC is white and is not approved in most areas for inside water supply lines. CPVC is beige and while approved for use inside, you need to know that the CPVC internal pipe size is smaller than either PVC or copper. I wonder if you used the wrong solvent (glue) for assembly. PVC and CPVC have different chemical properties and require different solvent. All plastic pipes are solvent welded and not glued. The solvent actually melts the top surfaces of the fitting and pipe so when they are joined, the surfaces blend together forming a chemical weld. Since these pipes are made from different chemicals, they require their own solvent. Few people would recommend using plastic pipe in a home, but properly joined together it should not break.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pvc

If you used PVC, and not CPVC, then I hope you had fun doing it because you really have to do it over using the right material. Hot water will soften PVC pipe and it will either "bulge" because of the pressure, (I have seen pipes that looked like a python which had swallowed a chicken), or break.

Reaction score
Website
www.sandpiperplumbing.com
PVC can NOT be used for hot water. CPVC can. If using CPVC, my recommendation is use only CPVC that is stamped FlowGuard Gold. Use the one-step glue, usually comes in a yellow can, is a yellow glue, that states on the can is specifically for FlowGuard Gold piping. No primer needed.
Let 1/2" glue joints set for at least 30 minutes before air test or putting water pressure on the pipes and wait 45 minutes to an hour for 3/4" lines and glue joints.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks