Faucet handles fell off!

Users who are viewing this thread

loment11

Reaction score
I just purchased a new home and found that both my hot and cold handles to my bathtub have no screws to set them onto the valves. As a result they just lift right off. I can pop the little cap off of each of the handles and I see that it has a threaded interior shaft. I can see that the valve stems are in fine condition, but the hole in the middle is not threaded and has a much larger diameter hole than the threaded one in the handle. I thought that it would be as easy as finding a new screw to lock these handles back down on the valves. Is the thread way down inside the valve stem?
Here is a similar faucet to help understand what I am describing.
20801-18734.jpg

Also, I see that the sink has the same handles so I popped the little caps off of each of these handles to see what the screw looks like. To my surprise the screw doesn't even have a head. It looks to be nearly flat...not allen or hex. So it doesn't even look as if it can be turned by a tool. It turns out that the sink coldwater handle is a bit wiggly too.
I am at a total loss here... Thanks.

Last edited:

loment11

Reaction score
OK, I have been doing some online searching and I think that I am getting closer to the answer. I think that the handle and the escutcheon are supposed to be affixed together (this doesn't explain why my handle fell off) but what is missing, and now makes more sense is that on my sink faucet, I'm not looking at a screw with no head...I am looking at the BOTTOM of a screw! I am going to attempt to unscrew the entire escutcheon and handld from the sink tomorrow. As for the bathtub faucet, if I am correct, then the upsidedown screw is just plain missing.
So now I have 2 questions,
1) how does the handle affix to the escutcheon
2) and maybe related, where does that upsidedown screw mount in order to screw into the handle from below?

loment11

Reaction score
My faucet looks more like this,
http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/T6125pt.pdf

I think that I have come to the conclusion that the screw has backed itself out and, in the case of the bathtub faucet, fallen down into the valve stem.

Am I correct in thinking that I have to unscrew the bell shaped base (escutcheon), pull out the adapter piece that slips onto the valve stem, and find the lost screw down there. Upon which I can then rescrew back together the bell housing (escutcheon), adapter, and handle? If so, I am definitely using locktite on this screw so this doesn't happen again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks