Would like to use PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

DoubleD

Reaction score
I'm installing a basement bathroom. The current water lines are 3/4"(I think for cold) and 1/2" for hot. The existing lines are copper. I would like to tap into the copper and convert to CPVC. What size should I go with for each? I'm putting in sink, toilet, and shower.

Thanks

Dennis

DoubleD

Reaction score
The distance is not long. Can I use 1/2" CPVC for both? Will I lose anything going from 3/4" to 1/2" on the cold?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
The distance is not long. Can I use 1/2" CPVC for both? Will I lose anything going from 3/4" to 1/2" on the cold?
If the distance isn't too great, you should consider staying with copper. The transition fittings (CPVC<->Copper) are pretty pricey. Either way, 1/2" should be fine.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The inside diameter of CPVC is smaller than the same size copper pipe. You would be wise to stay with copper.

Prashster

Reaction score
I converted to cpvc for a tap off my mains to a bar sink. It worked pretty well. I found that Price(transition coupler + cpvc pipes) < Price(copper pipe).

I also considered PEX because of ease of installation. However, for a small job, the price of the crimper blows the calculation.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
BTW, your thread is titled. "Would like to Use PVC". In the body you say CPVC. I trust you know the difference and that PVC is not allowed for inside water supply lines. CPVC is of course, but I'd still stay with copper.

DoubleD

Reaction score
I know the difference. However, I thought that CPVC is a "kind" of PVC. Hence the title.
I am using all CPVC. But can you use PVC for cold water?

Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
No PVC for water supply inside the house. Yes, CPVC is a kind of PVC, but it has different chemical properties and requires different solvent. (glue)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Inside it can be use for drain lines. Outside it can be use for the main supply line to the house and for sprinklers.

Wrex

Reaction score
I agree with the other opinions here if your run isn't that long stick with copper.

1/2" for the fixtures described will be fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks