Is it a "hot water heater" or a "water heater"

Users who are viewing this thread

Fubar411

Reaction score
Had this going back and forth with a buddy at work (non-plumbing profession). He says it is wrong when people say "hot water heater" b/c you don't heat hot water. Makes sense. I argue it is a "hot water heater" because you have the hot water and the cold water sides of your plumbing system. The hot water has a heater, hense a hot water heater.

I did see a generac standby generator that boasted it provided enough to power your "hot water heater".

Thoughts or is this one of those already been discussed issues...

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
This is pretty dumb but anyways, what do you buy a water heater for? to heat hot water or cold water? its a water heater... in my stupid opinion.

Squ1rrel

Reaction score
Well, by your arguement,Fubar, wouldn't it be a COLD water heater then, since the cold side of your plumbing does connect to your water heater, and it is cold water which is getting heated?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It would be redundant to say it, but yes, it is a COLD water heater. Why would anyone want or need a HOT water heater? :D

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
This question must pop up once a week.

For most people, there is no need to heat water that is already hot. So, in that sense, it would be a "cold water heater."

On the other, other hand: the product of the machine is hot water, and it works by heating it, so it really isn't too idiotic to call it a "hot water heater."

Construct30

Reaction score
In our area they call them hot water tanks also, I guess because the water used to be heated with coal and then stored in the hot water tank, never really caught on to call them a water heater, old habits die hard.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It is a water heater.

Its sole purpose, design and function is to heat water regardless of the incoming water temperature.

If the incoming water temp is higher than the thermostat setting it will do nothing until the temp drops enough...then it will heat water.

It is what it is.

Cookie

Reaction score
To the pros it is a water heater.
To the consumer and (some states) it is a hot water heater!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

Initially, it is a cold water heater, but then it becomes a warm water heater, and finally it becomes a hot water heater, as the temperature of the water increases until it reachs the setting of the thermostat. Once that happens the energy is cut off and it stops heating. From then on as you use water from the tank, unless you drain all the heated water out of the tank, it becomes a "hot water heater" because the remaining water in the tank is already "hot", just not hot enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks