Replacing 15+ year old vanity sinks

Users who are viewing this thread

1rreynolds1

Reaction score
Hi

I am replacing 4 vanity sinks that are 15+ years old. My question is what under the sink should I replace, p trap, supply lines, shut off valve???

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
What smelly said. Once you look at the P traps and smell them, you will want to replace them, supply lines are probably copper and hard as a rock, stops are probably corroded and hard to operate, and with the basins out of the cabinet you've got lots of room to work. Biggest issue will be removing the old stops -- depends on how they're attached -- soldered, threaded, or compression, each method has its quirks.

Ladyred2007

Reaction score
Yes! Replace the whole entire thing. I ran into this problem when replacing just a faucet and cleaning a slow drain in an old house that I bought. The drains were old, the water lines in were old and NOTHING was available for purchase. I started out trying to replace a faucet and clean a slow drain and ended up with an $800 job when it was complete. When trying to disconnect the drain line from the main line in the wall...it turned in the wall! We ended up having to remove the part of the wall, in case the pipes turned in there...leaking water without our knowledge.
Like I said, replace it all. Much easier to do. And..the drain lines are more than likely going to be a mix of metals, such as galvonized and copper..which corrodes over time and will be a bigger problem that you will have to address again later.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks