Pex Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

neusefisher

Reaction score
First off, I am not a plumber. I attempted today to run a pex pipe to a sink I am installing in the garage from a water line I have running to the tub under the house. I cut the pex pipe running to the tube and made all my connections using the push together type of connectors sold at major home improvement stores. I turned back on the water and the the T-joint I installed in the main line going to the tube is leaking on the part going to the new sink. I went and bought a new one thinking that it may have just been faulty, but it leaked in the same place again. How prone are these joints to leaking from slight side ways pressure? THat is the only thing I can think of that would be causing the problem. I didn't want to by one of those $100 crimpers but really want to finish the job and not have to worry about future leaking problems. Any help appreciated in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The things rely on an O-ring. I know Sharkbite sells a special reamer for the ends of the pipe that tapers the pipe end microscopically so you don't damage it when inserting pipe into the fittings. I'm sure it's a good idea for any of them.

If there is any sharp edges or pulling because the pipes are tight, that could give it problems, too. It probably wouldn't hurt to wet it while inserting to lubricate it a little as well.

Normally, they work well.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It is probably not inserted far enough into the sharkbite. Did you mark the tube at one inch?

neusefisher

Reaction score
I think I have found out what the problem is. It was one of those "duh" moments. The hole in the wall I made to run the pex through was a big snug. I say wall, but what it really is made out of is brick. I think the snug fit marred the pipe with tiny grooves and thus caused the leaks. It is leaking about one drop every 5 min. now. I am going to fix it this weekend for good. Thanks for all the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks