Spacer suggestions for toilet tank lid to fit over pressure assist system that's too tall for tank

Users who are viewing this thread

corsair

Reaction score
Hi, I replaced my pressure assist system (https://terrylove.com/forums/index....shmate-m-101526-f31k-1-6gpf.72159/post-646161 ). It's too tall for my bowl. It seems like it fits fine but it turns out when you push the knob to flush the lever sometimes just barely hits the top of the bowl which actually can cause major issues.

What have people used for spacers for the lid? I basically need the tank lid just a couple centimeters lifted off the tank. Thanks!!

Extra backstory:

Tank: Gerber 28-380
Old system: WDI Ecoflush B8104 (1.1gpf)
Current system (I installed a few years ago): Flushmate M-101526-F31K (1.6gpf).

The Ecoflush had a leak around the hoses so I just replaced with the Flushmate. The problem is--and I didn't realize this until several months or years in--is that the little hinged thing on top that moves when you flush actually scrapes the porcelain toilet tank lid. You can't hear it at all, or feel it, but ultimately what happened was it got occasionally stuck or delayed closing fully which meant the toilet continuously ran. I thought it was a flaw in the system and I finally found out it was the tank lid. By accident I discovered I could never reproduce the problem when the lid was off. Then I notice some faint scratch marks on the lid where that flush hinge is. Well, one day, a kid clogged the toilet. That would have been ok except the toilet kept running continously, which then leaked onto our first floor and, as you can imagine, meant a costly drywall repair and water damage remediation. So now the tank lid is off to prevent this from happening again.

Attached picture is taken just after I flushed, so you can see that little "lever" arm in the middle that sits just BARELY above being flush? that's the problem. It hits the porcelain lid!

Attachments

• IMG_5488 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5488 Medium.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've used blobs of silicone that I let tack up most of the way, then place a plastic film over and let the lid set on the plastic to form the silicone into place without adhesing to the lid. Maybe add a hard spacer that limits the amount of squish. This way all the points of silicone touch exactly where they need to keep the lid level.

Another product I used to shape soft but stong structures is Sugru.. its like an epoxy, but it cures to a hard rubber.

corsair

Reaction score
I'm looking for a non-permament option, so Sugru looks like a perfect option! Would try a plastic film to get it not to bond to the ceramic. Thank you! Such unfortunate design parameters by Flushmate to have to do it this way.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The silicone adhesive was just meant to adhere to the tank side only.. but I actually like the Sugru material. I used it to make some softer than epoxy repairs a few times.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm looking for a non-permament option, so Sugru looks like a perfect option! Would try a plastic film to get it not to bond to the ceramic. Thank you! Such unfortunate design parameters by Flushmate to have to do it this way.
Saran Wrap would be my plastic film of choice for this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks