Just pulled the trigger on (2) Toto Drakes

Users who are viewing this thread

Mustard Tiger

Reaction score
Bought a 47 year old house and the toilets were also 47 years old. A brand called Murray that I've never heard of. There are three toilets in the house, one in the basement, one in the master bath and one is a small, but full bath that's off the kitchen. It's a funky little A-frame style house, all made of cedar, no paint or drywall anywhere in the place. House had one previous owner, she lived there for the last 47.

I'm 6'2, and no way these low, round bowl toilets were going to work. That's to this forum I did dome research and ended up going with two of the Drake models (CST776CEFG#01) and eventually may go with a third for the toilet in the basement.

I am a bit worried about the low 1.28gpf since it's an older home, but it has a brand new septic take that was installed a few weeks ago. The two toilets I'm replacing are on the top floor, but I worry about the lower gif not being enough volume to get the logs all the way down the chute to the tank! I guess time Weill tell, but the toilets that are in there (were in there since they're now removed because all the flooring is being replaced as I type this) were tiny!

But thank you to this forum for making it a pretty easy choice. I've never had to buy a toilet before and never put much thought into it. Was jsut going to go with something off the shelf at HD, but after doing some research it seemed liek there are better options out there and it was worth a little more investment upfront for quality.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We've been installing low flow toilets in 100yr old Seattle homes since the 90's and so far I haven't heard any big uproar about it not working. I've seen tests done with clear pipe comparing various amounts of water and no matter what, the liquid outruns the solids at some point.. then the next flush pushes it the rest of the way. Drain systems stay pretty moist, so its unlikely that anything will dry up and cause problems.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I been hearing the samething about the low gpf not putting enough water down . 47 years old still probebly means plastic dwv system so I wouldnt be overly concerned either . Ive had less exposure to older homes but thats not even old to me anymore the cast iron of the 20s to basicaly when they stopped cast iron is a good thing we dont make em like we used to older homes tight joist bays , flat lines , horrible venting back to back fixtures on double santees you name it

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
From my experience and in my area of Washington, Cast stacks and Iron Pipe branches ceased in the 60's. some overlap of copper DWV in the 50's.

So in this case, that would make it '77 era construction. In the PNW, that would solidly be ABS DWV system.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
1977 thats a new house to us old guys its even got ABS lol pretty safe bet its plastic for sure

oldVermonter

Reaction score
I installed a Toto Drake in my upstairs bathroom earlier this year. It is so much superior to the Kohler it replaced...the difference in bowl-cleaning ability is startling.

Mustard Tiger

Reaction score
1977 thats a new house to us old guys its even got ABS lol pretty safe bet its plastic for sure
Yessir, you are correct! It's a cool little house. No paint or drywall anywhere. Cedar tongue and groove on all the walls and ceiling. Heck, even the subfloor is 1.5" tongue and groove cedar. Currently in the process of laying down 1/2" plywood after I ripped up all the 1/2" particleboard and next week start laying tile in the kitchen and bathrooms followed by engineered hardwood in the rest of the place.

Mustard Tiger

Reaction score
I installed a Toto Drake in my upstairs bathroom earlier this year. It is so much superior to the Kohler it replaced...the difference in bowl-cleaning ability is startling.
Thats great to know. Last two places I've lived including the apartment I'm currently renting while fixing this place up have had horrible toilets that never seemed to clean the bowl completely. The water pattern when flushing never covered the entire bowl. Toilet here in the apartment is some model of American Standard, 15" height and round bowl. Not even sure why people put in these tiny toilets when there's enough space for something larger.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks